Wednesday, April 3, 2024

It's A Finish!

One year ago I started putting together the twenty remaining churn dash blocks from Barb V's 2018 swap. You can read more here and here


Then sometime last fall I sewed Dawn H's fabrics together for the backing. That's an oldie on the right--I had some of that fabric as well. 

In January I took both front and back to another Dawn (Dawn D.) to be longarm quilted. This is the photo she sent when it was ready to go. I must admit I don't know much about pantograph patterns but Dawn found Willow Leaf's Whirligig and it was perfect!

I chose to float the blocks within the finished block. That meant the distance between the points of the churn dash blocks and the sashing varied as much as 1/4" which was fine with me. The finished blocks are 9". 


The striped border was a thrift shop purchase and the sashing stripe was purchased for a different project which didn't work out. But I also used it for the binding.


Another view. All those large triangles were scraps.

And here it is all done. The final size is 53" x 63".   

One last thing. This is a preview of the border fabric I'm using for Call Me Crazy aka The Good, The Bad and The Ugly :)

More to come. . .

 

Copyright 2024 Barbara Schaffer

12 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the Civil War churn dash blocks. Your quilt is fabulous. I haven't done anything with my blocks. Yes, I did participate in Barb swap that year and I saw my block in your quilt. In the 2nd picture, it's the burnt orange one with the blue triangles. So beautiful with the blue. I love it! Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chantal, I'm so glad you identified your block. I love knowing yours is in this quilt :)

      Delete
  2. Your churn dash quilt is beautiful, and the size is so useful for either a throw or additional quilt for one side of the bed when one partner needs additional warmth. Love it! You've corralled Call me Crazy very nicely with that border. It's a fun way to use up a lot of scraps and orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just so happens those crazy blocks worked out fine as a double border. I had made 51 and used 50!

      Delete
  3. A perfect finish! I adore the setting and fabrics you chose. Barb will be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! It feels so good to finish this quilt. I always loved participating in Barb's swaps!

      Delete
    2. I love everything Barbara does - and especially this!

      Delete
  4. I love the antique look of the fabric choices you made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drooling (figuratively) as I look at your wonderful churn dash finish. Such a perfectly vintage look! The sashing couldn't have been better, and that striped border is a lovely touch.
    Call Me Crazy is really looking good. And so is the room where you have laid it out. I wish I had a cool, cozy room like that in my home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! It makes me happy to have that one finished. I've got the border on Call Me Crazy and just have to trim all the threads and do the backing. Then it goes to the longarmer :) That's our granddaughters' room. And it is nice and cozy!

      Delete
  6. Oh the finish is fabulous! I love the framing of the blocks. It gives it a whole different look and it looks very antique.
    Call me crazy is fun and whimsical. What a great study of quilt fabrics.

    ReplyDelete