Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Mountain Mist Part I

Recently, I purchased a Stearns & Foster catalog of Mountain Mist patterns which took me back to my mom's quilt, a couple contests, and quilts that I made. 


This catalog contains pages and pages of quilt pattern drawings along with instructions for making a quilt and a comforter.


This all too familiar batting wrapper offered a diagram and complete instructions for making a specific quilt on the reverse side.


In the mid-50s my mother made two quilts from this Lone Star Pattern F . . . 


. . . one in pastel colors for my brother and another in autumn hues for me. She had mapped out all the colors on the pattern and this one even had my name written at the top :)


Unfortunately the quilt doesn't lie flat because all the pieces were cut on the bias. 


For my 16th birthday my parents bought me a canopy bed. I appliqued the star to a sheet, added yellow and red borders, and put it on my bed to admire. Even sewed ball fringe trim to the canopy for a complete ensemble :) Of course, I still have this top but keep it stored in a lined trunk with other early quilts.

In 1978 I entered the Mountain Mist Famous Women and Their Accomplishments Friendship Quilt Contest.
 

My entry represented Louisa May Alcott and was derived from Marion Cheever Whiteside's Little Women Quilt.

It was one of 35 chosen and I won $35 for my winning block. See 3rd down on far right. Subsequently, the quilt was published in Lady's Circle Needlework Fall 1979 and in Patchwork Quilts 1983. 


The following year I entered another Mountain Mist contest "Nursery Rhymes."

My entry was "Georgie, Porgie, Puddin' Pie". I don't recall where I got the inspiration for this block but I do know I had fun making it even though it wasn't chosen. 

More Mountain Mist coming soon . . . 

The spring peepers are making a whole lot of noise. I love hearing their evening chorus!

 

Copyright 2024 Barbara Schaffer

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful nostalgia! I remember well those batting wrappers but never made a featured quilt from their directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit the wrong key before finishing. Amazing after all these years that you still have all these items. After multiple moves, I have very little of my early textile endeavors. Now, living in our small house that's probably for the best!

      Delete