Thursday, January 4, 2024

Quick Recap of 2023

It was an interesting quilt-making year. I didn't accomplish as much as I would have liked due to Lyme Disease which knocked out most of summer and September but here goes . . . 


Twin-size Framed Tumblers surprised me when I put it on the bed. It looked like two separate quilts--a topper on another one! The good thing is I used up a lot of strips and star blocks that never worked anywhere else.

I made Snowballs for Caroline, Dawn's daughter, when she sent me her mom's reproduction fabrics. The snowballs were from Dawn's antique quilt that I purchased at Dana's auction. You can read more here and here.  

I finally finished Barbara Brackman's Ladies' Aid NY Sampler. It was a fun one to make. I quilted folk art motifs in the blocks rather than an all-over design. 

Selvages I & II. Two quick minis made of selvage strips sent to me by Nancy M. in MI. 

Then there were triangles in Carol Y's scraps that I assembled to make Penguin Party. I must admit there is great satisfaction working on smaller quilts :)


Red Geese was the result of my intention to sew together strips of paper-pieced flying geese but--I gave up after making only two 12-inchers. Nothing more!


I didn't even show you this one. Two years ago I bought some fabric coordinates at my longarm quilter's garage sale and I finally did something with them. I added a leftover star from Stars in a Time Warp and fused a white flower in the center.  

The back. The piece is 24" x 24." It was really fun working with these fabrics!

Don't worry, I still have a list of UFOs that I will be working on this year.  

I'll leave you with this sunrise photo taken with my new iphone :)


 That's all for now . . .  


Copyright 2024 Barbara Schaffer

5 comments:

  1. Fun finishes even though there weren't as many as usual. I think that happened to a lot of us! Your last quilt is such a fun and cheery piece. Perfect for spring - Easter perhaps? Your sunrise photos are always amazing. We haven't had much snow yet, every time we get an inch or two, the sun returns and it's gone in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice recap and you've made some very pretty quilts with scraps, leftovers, etc. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I really enjoyed seeing your year of projects. I hope your Lyme disease is fully resolved.
    What a beautiful sunrise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am sorry about the Lyme disease. I have a niece who used to live in Connecticutt with her family, and almost every one got Lyme Disease while they were there. But her oldest daughter had long term effects and just returned from treatment somewhere in Europe (specific location escapes me at the moment). She does seem to have improved, so that is a blessing.
    Your Ladies Aid quilt is wonderful, but I must admit that I am drawn to the ones you made to use up scraps. Such fun to see what you can create. Penguin Party really made me smile, and Red Geese is fun, with the red capturing your attention from within the more subdued scraps.
    Gorgeous sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun little projects for sure! I have a friend who has Lyme disease and it really through her body for a loop. I hope you are still feeling better.

    ReplyDelete