Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Crazy 5-8 and Another Finish

 Call Me Crazy blocks 5-8 are done and so is another Snowball!

These blocks have been so much fun to make. This is how I tackle them: print out the pattern making sure the 1" guide line is exact, otherwise you know what will happen--if it's short, the block will finish too small and, if it's too long, the block will be too big. Next I cut out the pattern pieces and then spend a - lot - of - time choosing fabrics :) I sew each section and assemble the block.

Then I remove the paper along the seams to lessen the bulk when ironing.


Another Snowball finish made from Dawn's antique quilt that I purchased at Dana's auction last July. This is #4. These four blocks were one unit that I salvaged.


I hand-quilted inside each snowball and made the decision to machine quilt the border. By the time I was done, the red fabric had begun to split. Oh, no! Luckily I had more of the same so appliqued new snowballs right over the old and did some "fake" quilting, if you know what I mean.  

I really like the soft colors, don't you?


I don't have a lot of quilting stencils but this one is a favorite. It fits nicely into a 3" border. I fiddled with the corners and came up with one big curve. 

Neutrals on the back are two fat quarters from the thrift shop. I used Hobbs Fusible Batting--my standard for small quilts. The piece finishes at 25" square. 

How clever! These CDs are covered with yarn and hang near the entryway of the Lake Placid library. Made me smile :)

That's it for now.

Have a great week!

 

Copyright 2023 Barbara Schaffer

6 comments:

  1. Seeing your Call Me Crazy blocks is such a treat. Love the scrappy goodness in each block. I wanted so badly to sign up for this, but knew I wouldn't get it done and it would just haunt me, so I enjoy the vicarious experience through you and another blogger I follow who is doing it, too.
    Your little snowball creation is so sweet. Too bad about the splitting fabric, but sounds like you made a good save.
    That is a fun art display out of CDs and yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this newest snowball quilt save. The paper piecing would probably make me insane but I really like your results. I have that same stencil and have used it quite a bit in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it. Making all those tiny bits not look crazy at all! I love the soft palette of these snowballs together withe the neutral border. I'm glad you had more of the red fabric. It's a good reminder about how fragile fabrics become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snowball quilt is so pretty!
    Nice work on the crazy blocks. PP must be the easiest way to tackle them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those CDs remind me of a bullseye quilt. Neat. I like upcycled art projects.
    Very nice snowball quilt - and the back is great.
    Those are great call me crazy blocks. love seeing all those fabulous fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snowballs are so pretty, calming. Fun crazy blocks too. So much to see in those. What a fun addition to your library.

    ReplyDelete