Wednesday, February 22, 2023

It's A Finish!

Well, it's finally finished! All along I'd been calling this quilt Barb's Scraps2 until out of the blue Framed Tumblers came to mind. Not a particularly "catchy name" but it works. 

When I put it on the bed it looked like there was a "topper" in the middle! How funny is that? When I hung it over the railing the large border at the bottom pulled it all together but you don't see that at all.

This is the one I'm talking about--the grapevine border. 

And in between the center of the quilt and the border is a row of 6" stars from Barbara B's 2015 Stars In A Time Warp QAL. 

This is one of the fabrics on the back--a thrift shop purchase at $1/yd.

Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery did the quilting and I used the trimmings for the binding. Thank you, Dawn! 

 

It finishes at 72" x 92".


Would you believe this quilt was my inspiration? I had good intentions of following this layout and cutting my strips into shorter lengths until I realized I had plenty of L-O-N-G-E-R ones to play with.




Some of the beautiful tulips I received over the past 6 weeks :)


I think this bird was 'high' on seed, lol!

Waiting for the snow to arrive tonight . . . 


Copyright 2023, Barbara Schaffer

8 comments:

  1. I love the "make do" quality of this quilt. Look at all the bits and pieces you were able to give home to and still make an interesting quilt that will provide warmth and comfort.
    Fun to see the inspiration quilt that started it all.
    Oh, such lovely tulips to brighten the winter days. That is why my kitchen window ledges are lined with orchids. They provide that bright, happy color when beyond the window is the stark white cold.
    I laughed at the bird tracks. We have had snow for two days now, layering upon the already way-beyond-normal snow on the ground. Yesterday hubby and son were trying to determine what had made the tracks in the snow between our homes. At first thought it was human, but upon closer inspection decided it must be a cat whose belly was dragging across the snow as they moved. :)
    Delightful post, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very serendipitous scrappy....and perhaps the bird seed was a bit fermented? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always such fun to see how a scrappy quilt evolves, so interesting how the "topper" look appears when the bottom border is hidden by the bed. The inspiration quilt is a great one for using up leftover strips, and bits and pieces. I've been thinking of making a Housetop pattern for my next donation project at quilt ministry. Our house in Oregon had a large pyracantha shrub right outside the living room windows. One winter the berries fermented perfectly and the robins indulged in them until they couldn't fly straight. I wonder if birds get headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Janet, the “make do” quality of this quilt is really inspiring and I love that you managed to fit in some stars from BB’s quiltalong. Your flowers are beautiful. Stay warm and safe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gladi! Strips and blocks were a good combo!

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous finish. I love it! I remember BB's stars in a time warp quilt along- was it that long ago? You used some great "make do" fabrics, front and back, to create such a fun and interesting quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it was two quilts! I sometimes layer them on my guest bed. I just love this kind of quilt. Combining great blocks and fabrics. What a cozy room! We lived in a cape and I love slanted ceilings.
    Such pretty tulips!
    We've had zero snow here in CT. It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your quilt! And yours turned out to be as "free wheeling" as the orginal, just in a different way. Pretty tulips!

    ReplyDelete