Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Framed Tumblers and Rolodex

 I'm still working on the binding of my new scrap quilt, but I'll show you a few close-ups for now. Thought you'd like to see some more Rolodex cards, too.


On a whim I started this scrap quilt on November 22nd after I re-discovered those large tumblers and squares. 

By the end of December I had gotten this far. I just kept adding rounds of strips alternating lights and darks.

I had quite a supply that I'd been cutting on a regular basis which made it easy to add each round. They varied in widths from 1-1/2" to 3-1/2."

I cropped the photo I showed you last time to give you a better idea of the overall top and its size. I'll take more detail shots of the stars and backing for next time. 

I got to thinking about my grandchildren who were no longer required to write cursive-style in school and decided to focus on handwriting for my next set of cards. I had quite a few examples to choose from because I am the keeper of my family's ephemera. These are all copies that I felt free to cut and paste. 

Left column top to bottom: 1908 letter to my great Aunt Leila from her grandfather, Robert Bower (my 2nd great); my mother's 1950s baked apple slices recipe; 1970 letter from my grandfather to his son (my Dad) executor of his will. 

Right column: 1984 letter to us from great Uncle George; 1862 letter from my 2nd gr-grandmother, Margaret Edwards Davis, to her siblings; and, my 2nd gr-grandfather, Robert Bower's 1898 Civil War pension application.  

When you flip these cards in the Rolodex file the backs look like this. I found those numbered strips at the thrift shop and cut and pasted the signatures of each person in those spaces. 

I just love these pics of Aunt Leila and Uncle George--married in 1918 after he came back from the war. For my files, Leila had recorded the years and positions she held with the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, an organization she was involved with for many years. 

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to a 50-degree day--today!


Copyright 2023, Barbara Schaffer

5 comments:

  1. It's an amazing 67 degrees here at the moment, though the wind is gusting around 50 mph. Our walk consisted of avoiding all the large trees that might lose a limb or two. Hard to believe we're predicted to have snow next week. I like your progress with your latest scrappy quilt, have been thinking of doing something similar for my next donation quilt. You've created an amazing record of family photos and handwriting with the rolodex project. I hope it will become a family heirloom for many generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a unique way to document your family history....true keepsake

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so amazing that you have all those letters and cards to make those truly remarkable rolodex cards. What an heirloom for your family. It's really very clever finding family history handwritten. Not 50° here. How about 15°
    Your scrappy quilt is delightful too. Each round adding more variety and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rolodex cards are amazing and you have so much rich material for them! Handwriting is so important! Enjoy your mild weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that is my kind of quilt!! I adore it and it is such a great scrap buster!! Fabulous! I love your index card project too. What a treasure you are making for future generations.

    ReplyDelete