Wednesday, November 9, 2022

UFO #5 Bits and Pieces ++

 My goal this year is to finish my UFOs--Bits and Pieces is now done. 

In April I started making 10" blocks from Carol Y's scraps and made nine total. You can see the red quilting thread in this one. 


I sliced and diced and just kept sewing and adding . . .
 

. . . occasionally I'd throw in a novelty print . . . 

. . . and really enjoyed adding rounds with whatever came to mind.

The string blocks in the border are 6" finished.

I had purchased a 5" Falling Leaves template for Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery to try on her longarm machine. She was excited about it and so was I!

It finishes at 40" x 40" and I thought I got this style out of my system. But there is just something about using lots and lots of (little) scraps that appeals to me. (I photographed it on the floor by standing on a stool but there was a shadow in the lower right. It's not really that dark.)

So with that in mind . . . 

In June, Dana at DanaAuctions.com had listed this Antique Graphic Quilt with Orphan Blocks--her catalog photo is above. I immediately "fell" for this piece and had actually bid on it until it was out of reach BUT . . . 

It looks like Gay at Sentimental Stitches purchased it and is now offering patterns for one 6" foundation-pieced block per week for 54 weeks starting in January. Guess what? I can't resist! Stay tuned . . . 

Moving along to more thrift shop goodies last week. The bargains keep on coming and I keep on buying!


The Eagle Medallion Collection by Windham Fabrics #31699 . . . 


. . . gorgeous repros by P&B Textiles Echoes of the Past: Austen Manor by Harriet Hargrave and Moda's The Spencer Museum of Art Collection by Barbara Brackman/Terry Clothier Thompson . . . 

. . . and The Sampler Collection by Windham #29722. I have a Schoolgirl Sampler board on Pinterest here and try to focus on dated samplers. 

Anyway, that's it for now. We're off to buy some apples at a nearby orchard :)


Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to use some of those bins of scraps we're all collecting for "someday." Your thrift store finds are inspiring as always. A long time ago I picked up a piece of that Harriet Hargrave fabric. Still looking for the perfect place for it, though it may end up on the back of my patriotic panel quilt. Hope you're having this extraordinarily warm November weather we've been enjoying at the other end of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading the description of your "Bits and Pieces" quilt, you know what came to mind? The crazy quilt that I had seen on Gays Sentimental Stitches newsletter today. As I continued to scroll down through your post, lo and behold, there was the quilt from Gay's newsletter. I think your little quilt gives off the same vibe.
    Just cannot believe the great finds you make in the fabric at your local thrift store. Color me jealous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started several blocks with little pieces when it was the 'in' thing. Every time I run across them, I think to myself "I need to work on those some more" and then I don't. Maybe one of these days. Your small piece turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weee! what a fun piecing puzzle of scaps. It is so lively and fun to study. You have found amazing things at the thrift shops especially those fabrics - what a boon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where you would even begin to put together your incredible scrappy quilt. It's amazing to look at. I thinking you're not through playing with idea. You have got to find out who keeps bringing this wonderful fabric to the thrift store and why just a little bit at a time. She's a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete