I know, I know. Two finishes in two weeks?? Yep! I had taken both to Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery to be quilted so all I had to do was trim excess batting and backing, cut and sew bindings, and add labels.
Last year I started sewing 1" x 2-1/2" bricks in the center gradually increasing sizes and shapes as I went along. I had no real plan.
But as of last December this is as far as I had gotten. I was stuck and couldn't think of where to go from here. So it sat . . .
Then one day I pulled it out and draped it over the railing in my sewing room so I could actually see it when I looked up from the family room. I figured out if I added strips on all sides with a large border print on two of them, it would come together.
"Look for the bird." That's what I told Dawn to focus on if she got lost in what direction was up :)
I added strips in varying widths to the top and the bottom. I have an ongoing inventory that I keep just in case.
I was aiming for a finished size of 70" x 90" and added strips on both sides before attaching the wide border.
Here's the back. That may be the end of that floral stripe--almost! I had purchased 6 yards of it when our local quilt shop in NJ was going out of business years ago.
Here it is all finished hanging from our deck. This is what pure scrappiness looks like and I must admit I love the way it turned out :)
It's finally snowing! We already have 4" and it looks like a winter wonderland.
Enjoy your week and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer