Wednesday, October 26, 2022

October Mini and Apron

This month's mini is aptly named Snowball2 because it was made from Dawn's quilt that I purchased at auction, took apart, and washed. 


This is one 9-patch snowball block. I really like this Indigo/pink combo, don't you? 

Many of the snowballs were pieced like this one. 

The other 9-patch block reminds me of candystripes :) 

I kept the quilting very simple--1/4" inside each snowball and around the little hourglasses in between. Also straight line quilting on both sides of the inner border and nothing in the outer one.


I had a wonderful print for the back. This mini is 25" wide by 16" long.

Don't forget to visit Wendy's blog on the 31st when she will be posting her mini along with links to all the other mini makers :) You can read all about her in the current issue of Quiltmania #151. Congratulations! We are so proud of you, Wendy! 

Did I ever mention how much I miss my apron collection? Well, I really do! I had them all ironed and organized by category but there just wasn't any room when we moved so I sold each and every one. I posted about some of them a while back. Here is a link in case you are curious as to what I left behind. 


But as they say--once a collector, always a collector. And I was at the right place at the right time--again!--when I picked up this c. 1900 apron at the thrift shop.


It is in perfect condition with lovely trim along the bottom edge . . . 


. . . and the ends of the ties. It was only $1.00. Need I say more??

Same view as always but look at those clouds!

Have a wonderful week!

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer

6 comments:

  1. very nice mini...and i would have snagged that apron as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the mini, reminds me how much I love snowball blocks and need to make a quilt with them one day soon. That apron is precious too. You have the best thrift shop ever - probably just as well that it's a couple hundred miles from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that indigo and pink combo especially with that little striped fabric. That block is such a classic. Awesome apron. Looks like a new beginning. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a charmer that snowball quilt is. I love the candy striper fabric. It really adds vintage charm.
    What gorgeous apron the edging is beautiful and I'm guessing it is crocheted with a tiny hook. $1.00!!!??? amazing find.
    Gorgeous photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Mini! I love those indigos too! I visited your links to your Apron collection, they are amazing! My aprons are always so grubby I would never think to use something so dainty as one of those aprons. Another way to illustrate how times and customs have changed?!

    ReplyDelete