Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Making Progress

So I sewed the border on my Album blocks . . .

. . . and had just enough leftover strips--2 on the cross grain and 2 on the straight--to make it work. 

I love this large print fabric! It pulls everything together.  

Now to do the backing and then to the longarmer for another UFO finish :)


More gorgeous tulips for April but some don't even look like tulips!

I continue to make blocks from Carol's scraps and often use a novelty print as a starting point. 

A moose . . . 


. . . a Santa--maybe a Debbie Mumm fabric?? It's been lots of fun slicing and dicing and cutting and sewing! The blocks are 10-1/2" unfinished.

I also made some 6" string blocks but I think they will be part of another project. 

The other day my daughter had her birding scope focused on this Great Blue Heron nesting in one of the trees along our driveway. So cool! 

Happy Spring!

 

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer 

 

10 comments:

  1. Your album quilt looks great! I haven't seen a heron nest. So cool that it is in your driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That album block is fabulous! I love your border choice. And those scrap blocks are sensational. I'm so happy that you have really made the most of Carol's scraps. I'm sure she is delighted too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great border for your album quilt. It brings all the colors together. You're having fun with all those scraps. It's fun how they all seem to fit. You're the master scrap manipulator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your album quilt, the border is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the perfect border for your album quilt, great finish for this top! The scrappy blocks look like such fun to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great border print! And I love your scrappy blocks, I might have to try doing that kind of improvisational piecing. Have never done string blocks either! How neat to have a Great Blue Heron nesting on your property! We have them occasionally hunting in our field for frogs but they've never stayed to nest. I'm worried about the Avian Flu and have been online today trying to figure out how to cover my chicken run. I hate not letting them free range but it's for their own safety - it's in NH and Maine and I'm sure will be in MA before long. So scary. Stay safe... Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful quilt, Barbara. The border print is perfect! Your scrap blocks are nice change of pace, and coming right along. How fun to work with somebody else’s scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that album quilt--and it is a great choice of fabric for the border!
    Some of those tulips look like peonies. I know the parrot tulips lean in the direction, but I think they are more fringed. I would be curious as to the type of tulip you have there.
    Very good use of the scraps from Carol. I need to do more with mine. I made one mini from them, and put some pieces into another project, but I haven't yet used them to their full potential.
    Very cool photo of the blue heron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect border for your album.
    Your crazy blocks are wonderful to study and I bet they are fun to make!

    ReplyDelete