Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March Mini and Misc

I'm calling this month's mini Apples and Pears . . .

. . . for the cute fabric that was in Carol's scrap box. There were just enough pieces to cut 18 3-inch squares. 

I had pink, green, yellow, and red solids in my 'vintage' stash along with the pink and white check and combined them all for a spring-like mini :)  

Don't forget to check Wendy's blog and follow the links to see more minis!

I sewed my album blocks together and started working on a border. The fabric I thought was going to work looked so washed out and blah that I'm changing direction. 

 

As you can see I'm still into Carol's scraps and started making 10" blocks. What fun! 


Last week Rachel and I attended (via Zoom) "The Work of Women's Hands: Maryland Chintz Quilts" presented by Elizabeth Lay, Curator, Collections Manager at Montgomery History. This free program is still available here if you care to watch. There are some wonderful detail potographs like the one above of Prussian Blue. 

Every day the Ausable River changes and every morning I look out to see what's new. Last week it opened up as ice floes drifted by. 

But the temps have plummeted and today this is what it looks like--completely frozen again! Waiting for tomorrow when it's supposed to be 60 degrees and all this will disappear :)


It's maple syrup time around here and our neighbor has buckets lining the driveway :)

That's all for now!

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer


11 comments:

  1. Apples 🍎 and Pears 🍐 is absolutely charming and retro mod. Taking that one piece and cutting it up was brillant. I'll have to take that idea and tuck it way. You have several varied other projects in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini is just as cute as can be! Perfect for a special little girl's dolly bed or Easter basket liner. Love the photo of the old fashioned maple sap buckets. We tapped a few trees many years ago using similar buckets, all the modern plastic tubing doesn't make for a picturesque scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're mini this month is really a cutie. What a treat to be able to live by a river, ice flows and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mini is so,sweet and Spring appropriate, and you album quilt is gorgeous! I can’t believe that frozen river. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cheerful mini, looks like it's straight out of the 30's with those cute bright fabrics. I love your river photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet little spring quilt.
    Thanks for the link on the Chintz quilt class! It looks so interesting.
    Love your river photos- fascinating how it changes so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a perfect Spring mini! I adore it. And, I am a bit ashamed of myself for not digging more into Carol's wonderful scraps. You certainly have made the most of them in wonderfully delicious (no pun intended) ways! I love the 10" scrap blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, I no longer receive newsletters from any US blog I subscribe to and therefore haven't written a comment in a long time! My apologies...I'll try to subscribe again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute mini, i love the album quilt. Sew much happening on your end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful mini.
    Thanks for the program link.
    I love to see the maple buckets - it mean spring!

    ReplyDelete