Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Ladies' Aid Sampler and AQSG

The Ladies' Aid BOM offered by Barbara B. on her Civil War Quilts blog has come to an end and I even have the top done :) I've included links to her posts so you can read more about each block.

Block 9 Hearts & Darts & Alerts was chosen for the Ladies' Alert Clubs here. I wanted to make my blocks in keeping with the originals found in NY State quilts. 

Block 10 Tools and Canandaigua named for the Civil War sewing societies in Canandaigua, NY. You can read about them here.


Block 11 Strawberries and Dogs is my favorite and depicts a working dog carrying a basket. I love the large floppy ear! More info here

Block 12 Birds They Sow Not which you can read about here. I used Barbara's Ladies' Legacy for the red and a green from my stash. My first attempt at appliqueing the inner circle was awful so I made it larger. The second time around was much better :)  

My goal from the start was to make a NY-style quilt now that I'm an official resident of NY and this one has certainly been fun! The blocks are set together with 2" wide sashing and I've already begun quilting. I had it machine basted by Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery and I'm so glad I did. What a difference! I'd recommend longarm machine basting before hand-quilting anytime. Best of all the quilt stays nice and flat :)

On another note:

Rachel and I participated in several AQSG Study Centers last weekend and I took these pics on my computer during Sandra Starley's 'Fabulous Fabrics of 1800s' presentation. 


I've actually seen this NJ quilt in person and it is stunning! I wish there was a repro of that pink paisley sashing! But what also caught my eye . . . 

. . . was the fabric in this block . . . 


 . . . and the repro that I had purchased last fall from Thousands of Bolts. It's not exactly the same but very close. If you've never shopped this online store you should take a look. Rachel recommended it to me a while ago and I've purchased more than I care to admit :)

That's all for now.

Enjoy your week! 

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer 

9 comments:

  1. Your blocks look beautiful and meticulously made, Barbara! It is a great quilt--you are so fast at having it assembled!
    And I will completely agree with you about having a quilt basted by a longarm quilter for hand quilting. Makes a huge difference, IMHO!
    I haven't seen that presentation by Sandra, but it sounds like a good one. That last fabric looks familiar. I wonder if I have some of it, or if I've just seen it somewhere else? I shopped that website once long ago, when money was tighter and I didn't dare go back. I had actually forgotten about it, if you can believe it. I am not sure if I should thank you for reminding me, or not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blocks...oh yes i know about thousands of bolts...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry (not sorry at all) to learn about Thousands of Bolts. Now I've created an account and a wish list and will resist (not very much) all urges to return and shop that terrible (fabulous) site. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are welcome! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find lots of goodies, LOL!

      Delete
  4. Your blocks and quilt are wonderful. Your knowledge of different styles of quilts based on location is very interesting. Have you mentioned what made your blocks and setting a NY style quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your blocks look great and the red sashing is so classic. I'm working on my blocks too but have sort of stalled out. I hated to miss the AQSG study centers! I had company in town. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely lovely blocks. That red is perfect.
    I've never heard of that website. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your finish, Barbara, it is delightful!
    The repro fabric you found, though not exact, looks perfect for the job. I have never visited Thousands of Bolts, but have seen it advertised in magazines for many years. Frankly, I’m afraid to look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for attending my AQSG class! And thank you for the link to the Maryland Chintz presentation.

    ReplyDelete