Wednesday, February 23, 2022

February Mini

Can you believe it's the end of February already? Time for another mini! 

It all started last month when I was sorting through Carol's scraps. These looked like a February possibility.

I laid them all out to see if anything spoke to me. I had an assortment of strips, triangles, and the LOVE panel to play with and was thinking a square-shaped little quilt.

Then one day it all came together like this--totally unexpected! But how to finish it?


I toyed with the idea of backing it with pink wool and finishing the edges with a buttonhole stitch but I didn't have the right color pink embroidery floss and that meant driving nearly an hour to buy some. Then I had this urge to go to the antiques shop in Lake Placid just to look around. Well, what do you know? There was a package of vintage DMC floss for sale but--no pink. So instead, I added a layer of flannel and quilted the top in-the-ditch.

I had this wonderful toile for the back, which I thoroughly washed again and again, and sewed the entire piece pillowcase-style. So there's no quilting on the back only the label that I made with a piece of the pink wool I thought about using from the start :)

Look how pretty this Valentine's Day tulip is! Another beauty from nearby Little Farmhouse Flowers :)


Crow tracks in the driveway :)

It's 50 degrees here this morning and much of the snow is gone BUT we're in for a snow storm Thursday and Friday with 6-10" expected. That's the way it is here in the north country.

Wendy will be posting her mini on the 28th along with links to all the other mini makers for the month. So be sure to stop by and see what they've been up to! 

Enjoy your week!


Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer 


11 comments:

  1. I can't imagine a valentine any sweeter than this mini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a perfect February mini. So happy that you were able to find scraps in Carol's gift that worked so well for this. I love your "finish" solution. Don't know why I don't do that more often. Thanks for another great mini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pretty February mini. I love the fabric you used on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally adorable and festive for february!

    ReplyDelete
  5. February is all about 💗 so your mini is as sweet as can be. I smile at your creativity each and every month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sew cute! You got crow tracks and today I photographed some tiny jumping feet tracks in the snow that had drifted into a barn, I think they may be mousie tracks. There are also cat tracks going in and out of the barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What fun it is to photograph animal tracks!

      Delete
  7. What a perfect February mini! Such a creative way to assemble the bits and pieces to come up with a Valentine. Delightful!
    And that lovely toile backing is a great finish!
    Beautiful deep red tulip. And I also enjoy catching glimpses of "wildlife" tracks in fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely mini;). Pretty in pink! Like a valentine. I hope your storm was pretty, and not difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sweet quilt for February. I love the backing toile! and your label is lovely.
    So creative and perfect for Valentines month

    ReplyDelete