Thursday, February 3, 2022

Playtime

 I have so many projects--but first . . . 


. . . I sorted the box of scraps from Carol Y. and organized them by shape and size: large rectangles, small rectangles, squares, triangles, large pieces, and crumbs. Have you ever done anything with crumbs??

I continue making strips from these scraps . . . 

. . . and now have 10 in varying widths: 3-1/2", 4", 5" and 6". The next step is to get them all the same length - 54".  Still working on what's next :)

I thought I might change the layout of these Elizabeth Green Album blocks by putting them on point but that would mean sashing, corner blocks, and edge triangles. I'm not so sure I want to make it that complicated. I like the blocks but don't love the fabrics as they were all outliers that I wanted to use up.  

On a whim yesterday morning I turned them all back so they were set side by side.

What a difference it made, to my eye anyway. The colors seem more intense and I like the visual effect. I'm going to move forward with this layout and add a striped border. 


Since I'm into scraps I thought I'd drape a few of my other scrap quilts over the railing in my sewing room--Potluck on the left and Scrappy Squares on the right.


Two more--unfinished scrap top 2021 on the left and Summer Scraps on the right The piles of fabrics on the floor are all for future projects that I want to concentrate on this year. 

One pile is a group of fabrics that I pulled to go with the Hewson panel and birds that I purchased at the thrift shop not long ago. I think these fabrics will work up nicely into Ohio Star blocks. At least that's what I'm thinking right now :)

We're waiting for the big storm to hit today.

Hope you are all staying safe :)

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer 

14 comments:

  1. I admire and am inspired by how you are working through those tiny scraps, Barbara. Do I see a future mini evolving? Yes to the straight set on the cross blocks. I agree, much better! Funny how sometimes the least loved fabrics can make the most interesting and beautiful quilt. Your scrap quilts are great! I’m getting some ideas …

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything you showed here 😊 It might sound odd, but I think I have a thing for album blocks. I don't know what it is, but I'm sure drawn to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your assessment of the X blocks is spot-on, they seem much more cohesive in the straight set, and each block blends so nicely with its neighbors. I love the fabric pull in your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, those X blocks side by side are just lovely. And I'm enjoying your scrappy coins. Too much fun!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scraps are so well organized. Yes, I do work with crumbs all. the. time. I love it. So my friends bring me all theirs, to my enjoyment, because they don't like working with little pieces. Crosses in a straight layout is better, I agree. Lovely quilts over the banister. Love Potluck. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Playtime is a way to challenge your creativity and imagination. Fun crumbs, and love seeing your previous scrappy delights on display.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Yes, it's amazing the difference it makes to put those squares side by side. It really proves that having a design wall is a must. A nice sewing area helps too! Love your sewing "loft". I'm still working mostly in my dining room. Some day I'll have a space just for me! I haven't done much with crumbs but have been saving lots for some day. It's terrible here today, sleet and it turns to rain for a while and then back to ice. Yuck! Tomorrow we're supposed to have frigid temperatures. Really not looking forward to that. Stay safe! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those X blocks, but what do you mean by "outliers"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call those fabrics outliers because they just don't fit in or go with the reproductions that I normally like to use. Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic use of Carol's scraps. I adore it. And I totally agree that the Album blocks look great in the straight setting. I look forward to watching your Hewson project progress. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The straight set looks great. I would not have thought the fabrics were outliers because they look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great job organizing those scraps! what fun to sort through them.
    I like your blocks straight set too.
    What a great place to admire some pretty quilts on your railing.

    ReplyDelete