Wednesday, February 16, 2022

It Took A Very Long Time . . .

. . .  to finally finish this UFO! Nineteen years, in fact, and all it needed was a backing, quilting, and binding. No big deal but enough for me to lose interest all these years. 

So in my quest to work on some older projects this year, I started with this one. If you'd like to go back to the beginning, I posted about it here. That was almost 5 years ago when I finished the top during the '17 in 2017' challenge. Remember that? 

Initially I made 5 blocks but could never figure out the setting. Once I realized 4 blocks were the same size and the 5th was larger my problem was solved.

All the fabrics in the pavement blocks were from my stash while the border print was a Windham reproduction that once belonged to Jill R.

I remember hastily adding those extra squares for the inner sashing. After all, they were the right size and I had just enough for the intended space. 

Last month I finally pieced the backing from my thrift shop bargains. Truly a bargain piece on the right because the print was even off-grain. 

I contacted Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery and together we chose a very pretty interlocking three-loop pattern for longarm quilting. Thank you, Dawn!

I had just enough blue for the binding . . . 

. . . and sewed on the label after washing the quilt :) Ta-da!


BTW, the 5th block that was too large to fit in became another small piece :)

Check out this early morning sunrise which only lasted a few minutes before the clouds rolled in. 

Love these Adirondack blue sky days!


As part of my monthly fresh flower birthday present, these tulips were February's pick. Aren't they gorgeous? Believe it or not the owners of the farm grow thousands of tulips in the basement of their house. That's pretty amazing!

See you next week!

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer
 

13 comments:

  1. A true story of committment. It's hard to get remotivated on an older project. But you did. The colors of the single block seems to match the sunrise and your lovely tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous finish! I wish I could be as committed as you. I adore the border fabric and how special that it was one of Jill's. The quilting fits it perfectly. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great finish. The border fabric is perfect, it just pulls everything together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your perseverance paid off- this is a wonderful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful quilt! So glad you pulled it out to finish up.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a quilt that has a "history" and this one certainly does. Love that border fabric, not to mention the backing fabric on the left, looking so much like wooden beads from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific quilt and quite the story to go with it! That border is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am impressed that you stuck with it and got it done. Love everything about it, right down to using some of Jill's fabric, and the name you chose. And that fifth block looks like a perfect monthly mini to me. ;)
    Love the flowers and the gorgeous blue skies! Thousands of tulips in your basement? Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on a lovey finish for this quilt. what great fabrics. Some quilts just have their own timetable don't they? Sweet that includes Jills fabric.
    Lovey sunrise and undisturbed snow on your deck.
    What a beautiful spot you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that’s a long time for that beautiful piece to sit. So gorgeous! The border print is so interesting and unique, it really sets off the colors in the pavement blocks. Simply stunning! Congratulations on bringing a lovely UFO into the present.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this is the year to get some things DONE! These two are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete