Monday, December 30, 2019

December Little Quilt and Birding

I finished December's little quilt well before the holidays after rummaging through my Christmas fabric bin.
 

Always searching for inspiration, I found this little antique quilt on Pinterest. Isn't it sweet?


First, I found this wonderful striped fabric with little checkerboards running through it and trees along the outer edges. Then I found another stripe--one with metallic thread in the design--and used it for the vertical strips. I paired them with a sweet little cardinal/floral print.


And this is my super simple December mini.


Here's the back. Thank you Wendy for another year of mini-making! 
 
__________
On another note . . .


It was such a beautiful day last Saturday that my daughter and I drove to Lake Champlain to do some birding. I never realized the sand there is black!


We came across these little animal tracks as we walked along the shore.


No birds but lots of ducks and beautiful scenery!

Thank you all for taking the time to visit my blog this year and for leaving a comment--or two :) 

Wishing you a new year filled with inspiration and quilting projects!

Happy 2020!




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer 

 

9 comments:

  1. Both the antique inspiration quilt and your Christmasy interpretation are wonderful. Often simplicity makes the most beautiful little quilts - those two striped fabrics really shine in their positions of honor. Lovely photo of Lake Champlain, I wouldn't have expected to see it snow-free in late December, but this is turning out to be a rather unusual winter around here too. Our DIL saw a bear next to the creek on our property on Saturday afternoon, too warm for hibernation I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just have to echo the previous comment. I, too, love both your inspiration quilt and your version of it. And I agree that simple is often the most appealing.
    Looks like it was a lovely day to be out in nature--birds or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that 3 of us cheering for both quilts:-) Interesting faded piece on the right side. Makes one wonder at the story of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little December quilt! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your holiday interpretations is so fun! Of course, the original is humble and charming. I love them both. Simple is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my what a hacker above me!
    Your Christmas Mini is so cute and a nice homage to the original.
    Congratulations on doing the whole year.
    pretty beach photos. I brought binoculars to the park the other day and didn't see a thing. I have better accidental bird sightings.
    happy 2020

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, love your happy Christmas mini, as well as the charming vintage one. I like how you went "out of the box" with your interpretation, rather than choosing to recreate the original. Happy New Year, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet little holiday mini! I adore the look of maximizing the effect of stripes in projects like this. Great job!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fabulous mini! How perfect for December. I was late in posting due to an early baby arrival! I have linked them all now and thanks again for hanging in there and creating so many beautiful little quilts. It is fun to see them stack up! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete