Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Deacon Blocks 5-8

The next four Deacon blocks are done. 


This time they are from the lower right corner. 


I had a good dark green fabric for this block so that's where I started.  


What a different palette--soft hues in pink, blue and brown. I copied / traced the pattern to my background fabric with a Frixion pen.


My first attempt at making this cross block but I wasn't happy with it. Too brown and too gray. So . . . 


. . . I made it again. I bought a fat quarter of this eccentric black fabric as a long shot that it would work. Then I had to find a light blue for the large triangles. After much searching on the internet I ended up going to Hobby Lobby and found a few blues that I could use including this white dot on blue even though it appears gray.


I'm much happier with this one :)


Block#8, of course, was a repeat of the one I made last month that was too small. I enlarged the pattern to 103% on my printer and that seemed to do the trick. The finished block will now be 9" not 8.75". The blue fabric is a Fabric Traditions from 2006.


Here they are in the order of the original (I apologize for the poor photo). That cross looks kind of dark but I'm not doing it again. The next set becomes available on Thursday and I can't wait to see which blocks Gay at Sentimental Stitches has chosen :)

Have a great week. Stay warm!




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer


 

8 comments:

  1. These are fabulous. You really have captured the feel of the original. So far I have bought and printed the patterns... I'm going to buy them each week even if I don't get to start them right away. Gay has been so generous over the years, I really want to support her. I may be able to start after Thanksgiving! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can envision an entire quilt made up of that pastel petal block, so very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a beautiful job replicating these blocks. I am impressed with your applique work--very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your blocks are beautiful! I like the revised block too, but I really love contrast. That block #8 looks super tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work, Barbara. Your precision is exemplary! Good job on getting the colors " just right".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Deacon blocks are perfect - too far behind on UFO's to do this one - maybe another time. But yours will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous blocks, Barbara. You seem to have a great sense for finding just the right fabric to fit the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is so beautiful. What an amazing project and your fabric choices are so close to the original. I just love the soft pink/blue/brown block.

    ReplyDelete