Sunday, May 11, 2014

Moms in My Family Tree and Puppy Bouquets


Remembering the moms in my family tree. Here are some favorite pics from my files starting with me and going back in time on my mother's side . . .


 

My mother Etta Bower Davis (1910-1964) was 33 years old when I was born. I have several mother/daughter pics taken when I was a toddler but hardly any as I got older. 


Fast forward to my wedding in 1962. All the years in  between I could only find one other pic of just the two of us. My mom was very artistic. I've blogged about her before. She made quilts, appliqued pictures, and her artwork graced the pages of her high school yearbook.       



Next generation. Here's my mom (left) with sister Leila, mother (my grandmother) Etta Strubbe Bower (1890-1970) and sister, Midge. When I was growing up my grandparents lived only a few blocks away so I was constantly visiting. Whenever I went to their house, I'd call out to announce my arrival and Grammie always responded with W-E-L-L???? She made the best corned beef hash--and apple pie  :)

 

Next generation. My grandmother (left), her mom (my gr-grandmother) Henrietta Wesler Strubbe (1861-1948), my mom and sister Leila being held by someone who I can't identify. My gr-grandmother was born in Germany in 1861 and immigrated to the U.S. when she was 15 years old. She was the mother of 5 children who were born between 1881 and 1890, three lived to adulthood. You can read more about her here.


Next generation. My gr-grandmother (upper right), her mother (my gr-gr-grandmother, upper left) Juliane Johanne Dietzmann Wesler (b. abt. 1840-d. ?) and two unidentified ladies. I'd venture a guess that the one on the right could be my 3rd gr-grandmother. This photo was taken in Germany.

_________


On my mom's dad's side of the family. My gr-grandmother Irene McCord Bower Landwehr (1867-1944) and her daughter, my gr-aunt Leila. I just love their outfits, especially the hats :)


Next generation. My gr-grandmother (upper left) and her mom (my gr-gr-grandmother) Maria Miller McCord (1848-1899). Both were pregnant at the same time and their sons (in military hats on steps) actually look like twins. I have a home movie taken by my gr-uncle George in the 1940s that captured a fleeting shot of my gr-grandmother. I just had this movie converted to a CD. 


Aren't these the cutest flower arrangements?? For Mother's Day I asked my husband to sponsor two dogs at our local animal shelter in my name. These came with the sponsorship. I'm happy to report both dogs have been adopted.  

Happy Mother's Day!

_________

Copyright 2014, Barbara Schaffer




2 comments:

  1. Wow it really looks like you have done a great job with your Genealogy. My mom does a lot, but I haven't had a ton of time. Thank you for sharing the pictures. I know they would appreciate it so much knowing that we still love and care about them after all this time.
    Edmond Vandergraff | http://www.syracusemonumentscny.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping track of our family history is one of my favorite things to do :) Thanks for taking the time to visit!

    ReplyDelete