Wednesday, August 31, 2022

August Mini and more . . .

The month's mini was made from Dawn's snowball quilt that I took apart and washed.


Just look at these blues, aren't they wonderful? I ended up hand quilting 1/4" inside each snowball and around the hourglass units. 

I had an old Harriet Hargrave blue for the border and machine quilted a double row of stitching around the entire piece. 


The back is an old double pink and the finished piece is 15" x 21-1/4". 

Wendy's posted her August mini here so be sure and visit. See what other mini-makers have been up to, too :)

On another note . . . 

Every once in a while I'll stop at a local antiques shop in Lake Placid and that's exactly what I did yesterday. Here are some pics of the 'vintage' quilts that were for sale.  




I also saw . . . 


. . . a 1988 framed poster of the Folk Art from the Shelburne Museum exhibit at the National Museum in Washington . . . . 

. . . and a framed Mola?? All hand sewn. 

But I couldn't leave without buying something! So here's what I got . . .


.  . . this Native American weaving . . .

. . . that now joins this one that I bought at the same shop years ago. One more and I'll have a small collection :)


And a small felted coin purse that is new but I simply couldn't resist!

It's hard to believe we're at the end of August and some of the leaves are already beginning to turn.  

Enjoy your holiday weekend!


Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer

8 comments:

  1. Your snowball quilt is delightful! I love the scrappiness of it, with some blocks having seams to make the size needed.
    You said you took apart and washed the pieces. Were they from an old quilt? Are the fabrics fragile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous mini! You have such patience. I find it so stressful to take apart and antique quilt and put it back together. I admire your dedication. Love your antique store roaming too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the blues in the snowball quilt are wonderful! Such a sweet little mini.:) The Lily quilt from the antique store would have mesmerized me. Love those rich colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blues in your mini are wonderful as are the peach accents in some of the lighter blocks. All in all a sweet mini. The mola from the antique shop was intriguing too. I think a collection begins with two, especially when the second is specially chosen to join the first . We see a lot of "vintage" quilts made up of unrelated squares in the local second hand/antique shop near here, but none anywhere near as nice as that lily quilt appears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your snowball quilt is fabulous. Those fabrics are beautiful. It's always a great feeling to save and transform an older piece without affecting the integrity of the original. Your newest collection is wonderful. A object to be searching for. Some of the quilts you shared, can remind us that anything can be sewn together and someone will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snowball mini, and even more because you gleaned it from your friend’s quilt. The border is perfect! Good choice on the Navaho weaving! And the other goodies too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your reconstructed mini is wonderful! Looks vintage, but so well made!
    I enjoyed seeing the treasures at the antique shop--and especially the beauties that came home with you. If it wasn't after hours, this post would have me taking off for a local antique mall. I haven't been for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Blue and White Snowball is such a classic dolly quilt. I just love it.
    That must be the best little thrift shop - ever!! what fun treasures you find. I really like the weavings. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete