Thursday, August 16, 2018

Triangles

Last December I saw this Birds In Air Variation quilt at the Schuyler Hamilton House in Morristown, NJ. See my blog post here.


I loved everything about it--the way the blocks rotated and the brown/pink/blue color combination. There were some pretty fantastic fabrics, too!


Shortly after, I made this sample 8" block. I realized the look I was after was so dependent on the right 'blue' but had a difficult time finding one that I thought would work. So this project was pushed aside.

Then I came across the same pattern on Barbara B's blog A Cloud of Quilt Patterns where she referred to it as A Scrappy Chintz Quilt: Odd Pattern but renamed it A Ride in the Cars. 
 

I changed my mind about what fabrics to use and pulled out some "early" browns instead. Barbara provided the cutting instructions for a 12" block so that's what I decided to make.

 
In fact, four seemed to be the magic number for me.


Now I'm thinking of using this floral fabric as the border and adding corner blocks to keep it simple. 

Maybe next week I will have made up my mind and the top will be finished :) 

Enjoy your week!




__________
Copyright 2018, Barbara Schaffer
 

 

10 comments:

  1. Looks like an excellent fabric choice to me! The four blocks look beautiful! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why you say the blue has to be just the right shade. It's a gorgeous inspiration quilt and your interpretation is looking very nice.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy the journeys your quilting takes you. I like the inspiration quilt as well. That blue gives it just the right spark. Is it more of a aqua or teal? The four blocks you made with the early Browns is very special too. Can't wait to see the finish! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that quilt. I would be hard pressed to replicate those original colors from my stash.
    Your smaller version is very eye-catching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a neat block. It looks a little tricky. Large floral prints are always winners on a border. Looks good

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! The fabrics you chose are perfect. Looks like an antique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great block! Love it in blues or browns. Your border choice is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rich browns - who doesn’t love them! Your combination is wonderful and the border is perfect. I spotted one of my all time favorite fabrics in your triangles...Fons and Porter’s Savannah. Have used that in a number of projects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! I love this block and especially the partridge fabric. I'm not sure about the new name for this block but I am guessing there is a story behind it!

    ReplyDelete