Wednesday, June 6, 2018

It's a Finish!

#4 on this year's list is done! 


The Playmates quilt that was started by Natalie in 1996 was finished by me over Memorial Day weekend. That's nearly a 20-year journey but there were years with no progress at all. 

 

It is hand quilted--nothing too fancy. The center is a diamond grid . . .  

 

 

. . . diagonal rows in the one-patches . . .

 


. . . chevrons in the edge triangles, a simple cable in the floral strip . . .


. . . and four lines following the border stripe.

 

The front :) 


The back :)  

 

The label :)


GSQ tidbits . . . 


GSQ's BOM for June--Down By The Sea is a Double Disappearing Nine Patch pattern. I missed winning the blocks by one digit on my raffle ticket!


Twice a year the guild sets up a 'Drop and Shop' table where all sorts of goodies are for sale at bargain prices. This bird fabric caught my eye right away. It was in a packet called Nature's Neutrals from Keepsake Quilting. 


And I couldn't resist Americana :) 


Dawn was awarded a Viewers Choice ribbon for her Millennium Celebration at the show two weeks ago. Congratulations, Dawn!


Rachel surprised me with this beautiful eagle center medallion. Isn't it gorgeous?? Thank you, Rachel! I love it! 

Is summer ever going to arrive--I mean warm, sunny days?

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2018, Barbara Schaffer


11 comments:

  1. Time lapsed quilts are the best! I recognize so many of those wonderful prints! I adore that eagle panel! YOu rarely see panels on a colored background. Wish the made more!! Have you seen Barbara Brackman's new blog on panels. It is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! Yes, I've seen Barbara's new blog. As always wonderful research and images!

      Delete
  2. Very good. I like the pieced back as it adds a surprise element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Had to lengthen the back for this revised version and I had a strip that was just the right size :)

      Delete
  3. I love that medallion quilt!
    Love the eagle panel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't stop thinking about the eagle panel. So many possibilities :)

      Delete
  4. beautiful finish~ your quilting is superb
    What nice finds at the guild sale and big congrats to Rachel on her quilt.
    wonderful eagle panel!! wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb. Feels so good to finish that quilt. I always find something at the guild sale :)

      Delete
  5. You added the perfect label to your quilt. Time definitely has a way of slipping by. The hand quilting is lovely and creates some wonderful texture. I love buying ( exchanging) fabrics at guilds. You picked up some fun pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all those years I needed to explain why it took so long, lol!

      Delete
  6. Love the label on your Playmates quilt...great provenance! The eagle medallion is fabulous and know you will use it in a perfect setting. Lovely backdrop for your first photo too...oh how we savor summer days.

    ReplyDelete