Wednesday, June 27, 2018

June Little Quilt, More Leaves, and Quilting

My June Little Quilt was actually a dual project--it was once a UFO and now it's this month's little quilt. Here's the story. 


I started cutting large tumblers a few years ago with the intention of making a bed-size quilt but never got beyond this point.


Then I saw this quilt on Pinterest and thought the tumblers would be great for the center. Besides, I had plenty of strips . . .well, that didn't work either!


So when it came time to make June's little quilt I decided to finish this UFO once and for all. I removed two rows of tumblers and added selvages for the borders.


I had plenty to choose from but pulled the most interesting ones.





Hmmm. . . I see a pattern here. Marcus and Windham appear to be favorites!


I machine quilted about 1" from each long edge of the tumblers and in the ditch along the selvage edges.


The back and label :) #3 is now crossed off my 2018 list--yay!


I've started a new little project--yep, more leaves for edge and corner triangles. More to come :)


And I finally basted Scrappy Squares so I have a quilting project to work on in the evenings :)

Have a wonderful week! I can't believe it's almost July.




__________
Copyright 2018, Barbara Schaffer



 
 

9 comments:

  1. Love your little thimble quilt.
    The quilt you've got basted is a beauty. Should be a fun one to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your mini quilt and the clever way to use the selvages !! Your appliqué blocks are beautiful !
    And your scrappy squares will be stunning !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much goodness in this post! Such a sweet little quilt and your applique is looking very intriguing.:) Plus, a quilt in the hoop? What could possibly be more relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for you UFO. I love how you quilted it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a clever little quilt. I really like how you combined the two quilts. Selvages are fun to work with aren't they.
    are you going to seminar this year in Bethesda?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow, those bits and bobs of quilty intentions always find a way of coming together! Well done for your June mini quilt...and isn’t it comforting to always have a hand quilting project ready to pick up when you have time to sit for a while...looks like a lovely scrap project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic little quilt for June! I love the story of how it evolved. I have saved so many selvedges over the years and rarely do I use them. I love the use of them in this little gem. Those corner block leaves are gorgeous. And, I am happy to see you have a special project to hand quilt this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to your blog, coming from The Constant Quilter. You did a wonderful job on your mini quilt. Smart idea to combine challenges and work on a UFO as well as a mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great way to use a lonely piece and turn it into a finish. And what a fun way to use up some of your selvedges!
    Looking forward to seeing how you use your corner applique pieces.
    Love the scrappy quilt you are hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete