Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Starting something new . . .

Recently, I received Dawn's stash of repro fabrics and as I was wondering how best to use them, I recalled a pattern I'd been saving for about 20 years! 


When Rita, Dawn, Rachel and I would go to Lancaster (years ago) I'd always bring along a folder of antique quilts that I liked along with pics of some of my reproductions tucked in the sheets. The Savery Friendship Star Quilt was one that always appealed to me. In fact, I recall Rita buying the entire kit and when she was done with the top she asked her friends to sign the centers of the stars. 


You can read more about the original quilt which in the collection of the American Folk Art Museum. The quilt on the printed pattern by Andover Fabrics was made by Gail Kessler and quilted by Barbara Persing.

I've decided to fussy-cut fabrics for the stars. Here are a few: 

The instructions call for the center hexie to be machine appliqued first to the star then the entire star be appliqued to a 10" square of background fabric that will be trimmed to 9-1/2". The finished block size is 9".

When Googling info about this quilt, I came across a piece of fabric that was specifically printed by Andover for the hexies. So many cute designs reminiscent of inkings found on quilts c. 1840s.

How cool is this?? There was only a 1/4 yd. but the hexies are small so I'll be able to use quite a few.

 

I had just enough of this Prussian blue fabric designed by Natalie's daughter, Laura, to make a star and test the center. I'm undecided if I want to applique it by machine or by hand and I wasn't sure if I liked the bits of border showing along the edges. I could try and reduce the size first. There's also a lot of bulk on the back that I should trim away. Still working on it . . . 

I'm not intending to make a full size quilt--maybe only 9 blocks or so. That's certainly doable :)

Enjoy the rest of the week!

 

Copyright 2023 Barbara Schaffer

7 comments:

  1. Very nice... 9 blocks will be perfect and finishable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have my attention ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect pattern for fussy-cutting fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a fun new project! Love your fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think my comment got published. I have that pattern too. I might even have that coordinating fabric. I'm going to go ✔️. Love the idea of fussy cutting the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful start with great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling little centers for your quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete