Wednesday, May 24, 2023

It's A Finish!

Ladies' Aid NY Sampler is done! I started this quilt two years ago when Barbara Brackman asked if I was interested in making blocks for her upcoming block-of-the month. Having just moved from NJ to NY I said 'Yes'! See Barbara's post here.

This photo was taken when I finished the top in Dec '21.


I had decided to quilt various motifs--birds, flowers, stars, butterfly, squirrel--rather than an overall design. I also didn't quilt the sashing or border. This was indicative of the style of album quilts that were being made in NY in the 1860s or so. It felt strange not to get carried away with lots of quilting.

I know it's hard to see but this one has a bird in all four corners. 


And this one has birds, a flower, and a squirrel.
 

I also quilted around each applique with minor quilting on the tops of some but not all. 

Had to put it on a bed to photograph because there's no room on my design wall.


Barbara's Ladies' Legacy fabric is on the back :)

Moving on to my next project . . .

Since I last posted a photo of my log cabin blocks, I turned them all 1/4 to the right so now the dark strips are at the left and top rather than the left and bottom. I like them this way. I plan on making another 10 giving me 6 across and 7 down. Not sure where I'm heading after that . . .

On Memorial Day let us not forget PFC James Ohlinger who was killed in Vietnam at the age of twenty-one. His final resting place is Restland Memorial Park, E. Hanover, NJ. 

Enjoy the holiday and all it entails--family, friends, cookouts, games, and just plain FUN!                                                                  

 

 

Copyright 2023 Barbara Schaffer

7 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using folk art images for the quilting within the blocks of Ladies Aid. You've achieved an amazing amount of depth with the rearrangement of the log cabin blocks. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the folk art images as well. I tend to think of all antique quilts being heavily quilted. Love the log cabin blocks wherever you're headed. Enjoy your holiday weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you hear my standing ovation from there? I am impressed with your effort to stay true to the "less is more" quilting of the album quilts of the era this represents. And I got a kick out of the squirrel by the tree. Can't decide if it is getting ready to climb it, or if it is attacking it. :)
    The log cabin blocks are beautiful in that setting--looks like shadowed windows to me.
    Our extended family gathers on Memorial Day at a small, old cemetery on a hill. My parents have been buried there, as are some of Dad's family. We move from there to 2 other cemeteries in the valley where more of Dad's, and Mom's family are buried, and my in-laws, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love your finished quilt. It is so traditional and the color choices are just great. Beautiful quilting too!
    It looks wonderful on the bed.
    Your log cabin blocks look great set that way.
    Lovely Memorial Tribute. tell us more about the flag quilt it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Ladies' Aid finish! Looks so sharp on the bed. I loved working on mine, finished a couple months ago and now it's one of my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete