Thursday, May 5, 2022

UFO#3 Scraps of Friendship

It's done! Thank you Carol Y. for sending me that big box of scraps in January. As you can see I've had a great time digging in! 

I spent many enjoyable hours cutting and sewing strips and other small pieces together. Each row was a new adventure.

After auditioning a couple different fabrics for the border, I chose this red and white diagonal plaid--a thrift shop find last year. 


Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery longarm quilted it in an interlocking Surf's Up pattern. Here she is taking the finished quilt off of her machine. My 4-Patch Strippy is hanging on the wall :)


This is one of the fabrics I put on the back, the other is the red/white check on the left.


I've named it Scraps of Friendship and it measures 51" x 64". Thank you Carol for your generosity! 

Here's another finished project. Wondering what it is?? It's a case for a bamboo fly-fishing rod that my brother asked me to make. Specifically 4" wide by 40" long with one channel 1-3/4" and three 3/4" to hold sections of the rod.

Now don't laugh but I've had this 36" wide wonderfully soft flannel fabric for more than 50 years! Yep! I purchased it at Newberry's in the late 60s for about 29-cents a yard. 

And it is s-o-o my brother who is a master fly fisherman :)

May tulips from Little Farmhouse Flowers. I just love going to the farm with my daughter to pick up her monthly gift to me. I wonder what the flowers will be next month?? 

Enjoy your week. I think we finally have some warm days ahead!

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer

7 comments:

  1. Terrific scrappy quilt and what a nice thing, the fly rod cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful scrap creation! It looks so at home hanging over the railing.
    One summer during my college years, I was a waitress at a private club for fly fishermen on the Snake River in southeastern Idaho. This would make many a fisherman proud! Crazy that you'd had the flannel for so many years!
    Oh, such lovely tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the scrappy quilt in all its exuberance! Your Newberry fabric waited a long time for the perfect use. Your May tulips look so lovely against the backdrop of your table runner find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scrappy quilt is so fun! I love that much of the fabric was a gift. Your fishing rod holder is awesome! What a great idea. And I love that you've had that fabric for so long! I have fabric at least that old but it was inherited from my dear mother in law. I hadn't gotten into sewing in the late sixties, didn't marry until 1977 and once the kids came that was when the sewing started. I'm glad the weather is starting to warm up for you! Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I missed your last four blog posts. But when I opened up my blog this morning, yours was on top of the blog list and what a delight! Everything! Your scrappy throw, the fly rod case, the quirky/blendy four-patch mini (my favorite ❤️) and the adorable mini for April. And your thrift store finds! Lots of fun goodies, and beautiful photography as a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun to see all those scraps so happily sewing together and great backing!
    The fly fishing sleeve turned out great and the fabrics are perfect for it.
    Pretty tulips! hhhmmm, maybe Iris for June?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous use of Carol's scraps. I do hope she is seeing all these wonderful creations. Love the fly rod case. What a wonderful idea for your brother. And, we had a Newberry's in Maine and I loved scouring their fabric department. I always found something fun and affordable.

    ReplyDelete