Wednesday, June 30, 2021

June Mini, Hankinson, Exhibit, & Bed

 This month's mini was super simple.

I purchased a baggie of flannel squares at the thrift shop for 50-cents and that's how it all started. Penguins, tigers, hobby horses, sports, even a piece of toile were all mixed together :)

I squared up all the pieces to 3-1/2" and started sewing them together in 4-patches until I could no longer match fabrics. Then I randomly filled in with others. I had leftover white flannel from my design wall and added strips to both sides and used it as the backing. (Sorry this is such a bad photo!)

I machine quilted it in cross-hatch and made a label that I tried fusing to the back but it didn't adhere. Anyway, I brought the finished quilt (sans label) to the thrift shop hoping a little girl or boy would want to claim it as their own :)

Don't forget to hop on over to Wendy's blog to see what other mini-makers have been up to this month. 

* * * * *

So look what I found on Pinterest the other day . . .

. . . a picture of my paternal gr-grandfather, Frank Hankinson (lower left), who played for the Chicago White Stockings in 1879. He was the change pitcher on a two-man staff, filling in occasionally in the outfield and third base. He debuted for that team in 1878 when he was 22 years old and was the starting 3rd baseman and even pitched a game. I have three binders' worth of information on his baseball career which lasted through 1888 :)


If you haven't heard about the upcoming Bergen County Quilt & Coverlet Show, October 1-2 in Ridgewood, NJ, you can purchase this beautiful hard cover book ahead of time to read all about the textiles and their makers/owners. Stitched & Woven: Bergen County Quilts & Coverlets 1800-1976 was written by Peggy Norris and Kay Yeomans. So don't forget to add the dates to your calendar--wish I could attend! 


After struggling with choosing a new bed for our guest room, I finally purchased this wonderful Adirondack-style aspen-birch log bed. It was actually made in Colorado and delivered in early May to a store in Queensbury NY, (near Lake George) where my son picked it up in his truck and brought it here. Had to put my Sturbridge Strippy quilt on it :) Next purchase will be a new lamp and table!

I just love the details--wood leaves and twigs on the headboard, footboard and side rails. The workmanship is amazing! 

That's it for now.

See you next week!

 

Copyright 2021, Barbara Schaffer

11 comments:

  1. Your mini is right up my alley, Barbara - thrift store scraps, simply set. I adore it! How thoughtful to donate it back to be found by a young person, or anyone who appreciates these kinds of things.
    OMG the bed! It’s awesome! Your gorgeous quilt fits it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sweet mini deserves to be in a little child's hands, whether for their teddy bear or doll, or simply as a little one's lovey or comfort quilt! I hope the store owner gives it away with that spirit in mind. I showed your new guest bed to my husband who immediately wanted one! It's the perfect place to showcase your Sturbridge strippy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing to do. I got goosebumps when I read what you did with it in the end. Some little child will squeal with delight when they pick this little gem for their dolly. So sweet! Your bed is perfect for your cabin. I adore that Adirondack style of furniture. Your quilt is perfect for it. Thank you for the link to the catalog. I wish I could go too. Thanks for another great mini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet little mini. I like that you put flannel in it. It will make some little someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. I'm so glad you stopped by. I hope some child will fall in love with that little quilt.

      Delete
  5. Your mini is super sweet and I love the fact that you returned it to the thrift store for someone to love. Very nice. The new guest bed is perfect for your home. Your quilt fits the style. How fun that you found your pat. gr father on Pinterest! Can you imagine what he would have thought about something like that. Sometimes I can't imagine how life is so different even for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mini is so sweet. Thanks for the shout-out about the show and the catalog. If you happen to be in Jersey during the show, please introduce yourself. I'd love to meet you. I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peggy. How I wish I could be in NJ for the exhibit. In the meantime, I've been enjoying your lovely book. You and Kay did a wonderful job :)

      Delete
  7. I love your sweet mini, such a fun and unexpected mix of fabrics, and will no doubt be a thrill for a young person to get it. It's such a sweet generous thought, to do that. Absolutely LOVE your bed and the quilt is perfect for it. It just looks so country cozy, so interesting. I have never heard of that style, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very sweet mini! Nice use of the bag of flannels, and a great idea to donate the finished quilt back.
    It is a thrill to find a photo of an ancestor that you have never seen before. Very cool!
    That is a gorgeous bed! Your guests may never want to leave. And your Strippy quilt looks perfect there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely thought to make a little quilt for an unknown little recipient.
    Your new bed is spectacular! What a beauty.
    Peggy did a program for the Brownstone group. I would like to see the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete