Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Flag Quilts for Flag Day

Flag Day will be here in a few days so I thought I'd go through my files and share my flag quilts with you.   


Patriotic Pieces (2002) to celebrate the millennium.  

Dear Old Stripes and Stripes (2014) contained words to a song written by my grandfather in 1909. You can read more about it here.  


I made Coming Home (2014) with the intention of sending it off to Quilts of Valor but then I discovered some defective marks on the backing so it never got sent. I had purchased a panel of various-sized flags at the Great American Quilt Festival in NYC and the large ones were perfect for the center.


In 2014 I followed along with Lori at Humble Quilts blog and made Flags of the American Revolution, a Jan Patek design, which I renamed Independence! to honor my ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War. 

Last but not least, a monthly mini in May 2018.

That's all for now :)

 

Copyright 2021, Barbara Schaffer  


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a spectacular array of patriotic quilts! So creative, and quite unique. I read the post about your grandfather, what devoted citizen and a talented man.I love the way “his” flag quilt turned out with a little aging and the lyrics of the song. What a nice tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your flags on parade. I just pulled out my R/W/B quilts today so this seemed very timely to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your flags on parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing these flag quilts. Thank you for sharing! That last mini is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very impressive display! I remember that wonderful May 2018 mini. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! That was a fun mini to make!

      Delete