Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Deacon Blocks 25-28 and River

I started this set of Deacon blocks in NJ and finished them in NY :)


It was really important to me to continue making these blocks during our move as I didn't want to fall behind. So far so good!


25. Attributed to Sarah Kemble

I spend a lot of time prepping! Each one of those red rays was appliqued separately unlike the yellow ones in the center which were cut from one piece of fabric. Interesting!


26. Attributeed to Anna W Coles / N Jersey

Last fall I bought a yard of this red fabric for a $1 at the local thrift shop. It looked like a "good" red to me at the time and it worked out just fine. 

27. Attributed to Sarah Ann Kemble

Talk about a challenge! I did both machine and hand piecing and the center is as good as it's going to get. When I finished the block it didn't lay flat so I re-did the corner squares and edge triangles by cutting them a little larger. 


I used motifs from these two oldies for the broderie perse block. The blue is Moda's Material Pleasures "Coral Garden" Tulip Vine by Terry Clothier Thompson and Barbara Brackman and the one on the right is a repro from the Oakland Museum. 


 28. Attributed to Mary S Haines

I fused all the pieces . . .


. . . and finished them with a small zig-zag stitch.  


Now that we are in the north country everything in our little town is within walking distance. The view on my way to the post office :)

Please stay safe!




__________
Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Barbara. And such patience. How wonderful to live walking distance from town. My dream!
    They're about to lift some restrictions here... makes me nervous ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice that you're able to walk to everything you need. Beautiful scenery, though I suppose it's cold there again today. We awoke to around half an inch of snow on the ground here in WNY near the PA border. Your blocks are beautiful, but an exercise in extreme patience I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's cold here--again! I'm really enjoying the challenge of making those blocks. Just what I needed to keep me busy :)

      Delete
  3. your blocks are just beautiful - each one more so than the previous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks are great. Lots of challenging applique. I still have a few pieces of the Coral Garden line. How wonderful to live in a small town. Enjoy each walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what tricky applique' ! You did a beautiful job. The zig zag on your proderie perse is just wonderful. Good for you to keep up during this busy time of moving.
    What a joy to have everything in walking distance.
    beautiful lake photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite applique - your patience shows in the beautiful results. Especially now we all crave the outdoors and fresh air - enjoy your walks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can just see two of your blocks....
    No doubt that your work is beautiful as always !!
    Take care Barbara !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! That #25 is amazing! I am so enjoying your journey with these beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete