Wednesday, October 25, 2017

This 'n That

This past week had me going every which way . . . 


I was determined to get this top done but I didn't have a piece of fabric large enough for the border so here's what I did: I extended the sashing strips by 3-1/2" and cut rectangles of another fall fabric to add in between. I think it's okay. Even made the backing so I'm off to Michaels to buy a package of Hobbs batting with a 50% off coupon :)


I haven't photographed gravestones in a while but this old graveyard at the Presbyterian Church in New Providence, NJ was calling out to me :)


I thought for sure all the gravestones would have been documented with photos uploaded to Find A Grave but I was wrong. It's not often I come across a double gravestone but here is one of a sister and brother who died in 1790 and 1791.


Yesterday I had a block of time to play with some hsts for a border on this hexie piece I've been working on. I had zig-zags in mind and wanted to see what the corners would look like. I'm making 2" hsts using Triangles on a Roll. Once I sew them together they will be a lot smaller and will fit "perfectly" lol! 

******

Remembering my mother this Friday, Oct 27th:


A photo of my mother (r) Etta Bower Davis (1910-1964) and her sisters Midge (c) and Leila (l) taken at my high school graduation in 1961. It was around this time when she was making quilts or doing cross-stitch.


She made an entire series of applique pictures depicting family members. You can read more about them here. This one is of Aunt Midge and Uncle Warren in their home where they had a small pot-bellied stove and trivets hanging on the wall. Embroidered on the tray is "Midge Warr Apr 1944" the year they were married. 


But before Mom made quilts she was into cross-stitch. "The Pheasants" . . .


. . . and "Mother and Fawn" were made in the late 1950s. Both of these McCall's designs could be ordered from L. Bamberger & Co. in Newark, NJ. The complete kits cost $3.39 and $5.19 respectively. 


After my mother finished her pictures I decided I wanted to make the companion piece to the deer above called "Stag at Eve." Well, you can see I didn't get very far. Maybe it will be a good project to work on at the cabin. We'll see :)

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


 

9 comments:

  1. What a clever and beautiful solution for your border. I like it better than a solid piece of fabric! What a great picture of your mother and her sisters. You must have great memories. I love the appliqued picture too. I'm so happy to see all these things are still loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was filled with wonderful this and that. The border solution is brillant, exploring the graveyard and finding this unique stone is a treasure, and the photo of your mom and aunts is so sweet with their purses over their arms and dressed for a your celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your outer border is beautiful like that ! Great idea Barb !
    Well I must say : your 2 outer borders !
    Your Mom was a great embroiderer and you have grat memories with these tapestries and photo !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your borders look great - I like the piecing in the corner.
    Interesting gravestone. I have pet cemetery near me and I keep meaning to go take a look - there are gravestones and everything.
    Love Love seeing your mom's needle work. I did cross stitch first too. Her animals are absolutely charming!
    fun post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your border solution!!
    My mom did needlework and cross stitch too. So fun to see what they worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How dear is that photo of your Mom and sisters - sweet ladies! Your border solution works well and the angel carving on that gravestone is lovely...I remember seeing a primitive quilt pattern featuring just that image a while back. Cross stitch and I never connected...my eyes couldn’t handle it. My daughter-in-law however loves it - makes for a nice stress breaker from work. The doctor that operated on my first broken wrist does exquisite cross stitching - he also uses it as a stress breaker between surgeries...

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fond memories, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And thanks for visiting and leaving a comment :)

      Delete
  8. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on some general things, the web site style is perfect,
    the articles is really great : D. Good job…
    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete