Thursday, August 3, 2017

#4 and "Mountain Mist"

#4 on my '17 in 2017' list is done! I actually finished quilting it in Feb (!) but wanted to wash it at the cabin before sewing on the label.   


I'd say the red fabric bled a little! 


I always referred to this quilt as my red/green applique but renamed it My Best Applique because it really was just that--my best applique. I started this quilt in 1994.  

 


I quilted around all the appliques and filled in with straight lines 1" apart. The sashing/border was quilted 1/4" inside the seams. 



I threw the quilt in the dryer because I didn't like the way I could see bits of red and green in the seams when it was wet. It krinkled up a bit but I'm okay with that.


The back is a neutral print.


The label. It's not fancy :)


I washed a couple more quilts and then draped them all over the railing just for fun :)


This Mountain Mist???


Nope, this "mountain mist." I snapped this photo on an early morning walk.


This one, too. The mist was just creeping across the river. It was rather chilly--45 degrees! 



Just look at this beautiful salad my daughter and son-in-law made! All fresh from the community garden. I've got some spaghetti squash growing along with heirloom squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Maybe we'll get to enjoy them next time we head north :)




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


 

4 comments:

  1. Your best applique quilt is beautiful. You might get the award for the oldest finish in 2017! I'm glad you added those color catcher into the wash. That red could have meant big troubles. Your cabin is in a beautiful area. I like your mountain mist better than the packaged stuff. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great quilt! I bet it feels nice to have it complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous quilt Barb. You new name for it is perfect. Amazing how much red was drawn out. I love the crinkly look.
    Beautiful photos and that salad looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt!! It took me a minute to figure out what the color catchers were. Wow, that 1994 red really did run. It turned out beautifully after the wash and dry. I love a little crinkle as it makes it look authentic. I snatch up older Mountain Mist cotton whenever I can. They are getting harder to find. I like your real mountain mist even better, wink! Your cabin is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete