Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Scrappy Squares Top and More

For lack of a better name I'm calling this quilt Scrappy Squares. It just seemed to fit.


I managed to add the last border so the top is now done!


Thank you, Susan, for sharing this feather fabric with me! It is from Windham's Wm. Penn's Vision line designed by Patty Harants. I am so happy to have finally found the perfect place for it :)


I added corner blocks using the same squiggly fabric as the inner border. 


Summer time in NJ brings back memories of the shore. 


I made Summer Serenity in 1984 after seeing an Amish family at the beach. It was a sight I will never forget. This quilt was published in Quilt Art Calendar in 1987 and Quilting by Laurie Swim in 1991. It was the only quilt I ever entered in the Vermont Quilt Festival and it won a blue ribbon in 1989 :)


A couple of years ago I took photos of two panels of a collaborative effort of quilts portraying the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ. The Strand Theater was made by Pat Kline of Marmora, NJ.   


. . . and Shriver's was made by Debbie Lombardozzi of Ocean City. It is the oldest business on the boardwalk and known for their homemade salt water taffy. 

I hope you are getting in some good summer time quilting! 

See you on the 4th!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer


8 comments:

  1. Your Scrappy Squares is one beautiful quilt! The others shown are quite creative too. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy with the way it turned out :)

      Delete
  2. That border fabric in your Scrappy Squares is awesome. You used some wonderful reproduction fabrics in that quilt. It looks great. Summer Serenity is delightful. I'm glad it was honored in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow your quilt is just wonderful!! This must be fabric from Jills closet through susan - how nice. The corners and the touches of Lancaster Blue add so much interest and sparkle.
    I loved seeing your beachy quilts. I have always wanted to make a collaborative quilt like that. It is just super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just full of surprises and "aha" moments for me today. First, I love the Scrappy Squares and I have that fabric and had no idea it was designed by Patty Harants. She was my swap partner for Lori's swap this year. I adore that fabric! And I remember your quilt with the Amish family at the beach. I could not tell you where I have seen it but most likely the Calendar as I don't have the Laurie Swim book. I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your star quilt is one I like very much. The fabric for the border is unusual and just perfect for your quilt.
    Your Amish at the beach piece is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "scrappy square" is awesome and it's the first time I see a fabric with feathers like yours ! How nice !
    The quilt at the beach is very fun !
    Congratulations Barbara !
    I wish you a wonderful 4th of July !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That border fabric is perfect for your latest quilt! Nice job!
    The shore quilts are very fun!

    ReplyDelete