Wednesday, July 6, 2016

What A Beautiful Day for Connections!

Twenty-one years ago I made a log cabin quilt for my daughter and named it Connections: To the earth, to the sky, to the rivers, to life! Believe it or not I only had one photo of it in my file. 

 
But it was such a beautiful day in the Adirondacks yesterday that I decided to do a photo shoot :) 


I recruited my DH to hold it up for a pic of the front . . . 


. . . and for one of the back. Silly grand-dog decided to get in the picture!


The fabrics tell the story of her travels throughout the southwest while working on her master's degree. It begins in the lower left and ends in the upper right.


Row 1. It seemed appropriate to replace the conventional red square with that of hot chili pepper fabric. These brightly-colored fabrics represent her visit to Mexico.


Row 2. All water-related fabrics (from muddy to clear blue) represent the Rio Grande River from its beginning in CO to its end in TX.


Row 3. Celestial prints tell of sleeping outdoors every night.


Row 4. Western themes and Native American prints are reminders of AZ, NM and TX. I am represented by the glitzy scissor fabric :)


Row 5. Fabrics with fruits, vegetables, and pasta represent her daily diet.



Row 6. As she learned about farming, herbs, flowers, and straw bale houses, fabrics with corn, flowers, straw, etc. were sewn together in this row.



Row 7. But she longed for the Adirondack Mountains of NY so I included fabrics which focused on fishing, pine cones, mushrooms, and even found a piece with 'Adirondack' written on it.



Row 8. The upper right corner is a reminder of Grateful Dead concerts :)


Click on this photo to see 'all things Adirondack' including a log cabin, moose, bear, owl, eagle, etc. 


And there's that river fabric on the right which I recently used in The Platte River block of Westering Women :) 

Have a great week!



__________
Copyright 2016, Barbara Schaffer
 


6 comments:

  1. No doubt that it was a beautiful present representing your daughter 's life ! I love the yellow centers with the hot chilli pepper fabric !
    How did she react to it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt. Thanks for such a fun tour of the fabrics. Really tells a personal narrative. She must love it!!
    It looks in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special. I love quilts with great stories behind them. It is beautiful. And yes, so was the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to tell your daughter's story and journeys. I wouldn't have thought of using a log cabin block. I'm glad you able to photograph the quilt again for your records.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful day is an understatement. I couldn't believe the backdrop was even real. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever of you and quilt with a wonderful personal story! It must have been fun gathering the fabrics for this one :)

    ReplyDelete