Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Last Saturday

Last Saturday we spent a day at 'the lake" where my grandparents used to live in Northern NJ. The new owner of their little cottage found some pics I had posted on my blog and extended an invitation to visit anytime. Every summer we get together with the person whose camp is next door so we arranged to meet. 


But before we left home I was busy chasing squirrels from our bird feeders. Squirrel #1 is pretty defiant as he "sits and swings and eats." 


Squirrel #2 is relentless


When we made the trip last year I remembered seeing a couple of barn quilts along the way. But we passed by the first one without even realizing it so here is the second one.


Interesting "printed fabric" don't you think?


We arrived at the lake an hour later and even saw a bear on the way in! I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to take a pic. 

  
It was an overcast day but this vintage postcard from the 50s shows you what the lake looks like on a clear day. The Appalachian Trail runs along the ridge of the mountains in the distance. 


Such wonderful memories when we visit. Here is my son in 1965 when he caught his first fish :)   


And this is the shoreline where I used to fish for sunnies and perch. I was always the one to put the worm on the hook for my brother, lol!


Meet Zack, our friend's champion dog :)


All in all we had a wonderful day! Thanks for coming along with me down Memory Lane.

Next week I'll have some quilt updates :)




__________
Copyright 2016, Barbara Schaffer


3 comments:

  1. aahh, days at the lake - lovely! I grew up fishing on annual family vacations in Wisconsin. Sunfish off the pier was my favorite - Bass too.
    what a cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful lake. There's something about having a vacation on a lake. I'm glad you still get to go back and visit.

    ReplyDelete