Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Shirting Stars

This is my third week of making stars as part of Barbara Brackman's Stars in a Time Warp QuiltAlong. The first week was Turkey Reds, the second Prussian Blues, and last week Shirting Prints. Four stars seem to be the right number for me to make on a weekly basis. If I can keep this up imagine how many I'll have at year's end! It's been fun sorting through fabrics to find just the right ones. 


Here they are as a group followed by close-ups.  





 


When they were done I began to think about what other shirting goodies I could share with you.



This Log Cabin top is one. It has lots of small prints, plaids, and stripes. 



 
This Basket quilt is another with mostly plaids and stripes.

  

And this odd piece is folded in half forming one big open-ended tube. I haven't the slightest idea why.

 

It has a variety of unwashed stripes and plaids.


Years ago I couldn't resist buying this little piece from my good friend and colleague, Natalie Hart. Not only was she one of the authors of HQPNJ's books, New Jersey Quilts and A Passion for Quilts, she was also a quilt dealer and appraiser.

 

And look at these wonderful early shirting fabrics that were once in her collection. 

 


  
As were these large 4-Patch blocks.  


And this orphan Log Cabin block has some nice shirtings, too. That black and white gingham is really effective, don't you think?





__________
Copyright 2015, Barbara Schaffer



2 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, I just joined your blog after seeing you mentioned on another "Barbara's" post!! I like your stars from the different colors that they are working through for the star quilt a long. You have a nice collection of shirting prints. These just fascinate me to think of the history involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these quilts are beautiful - especially the basket quilt with that soft pink. Your stars are looking great - I love the one with the red center! Isn't that quiltalong so fun? Such sweet little 6 inch blocks and so fun to see what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete