Friday, October 9, 2026

1840 Oak Leaf and Reel Rescue

Follow up from my last post and the rescue of an 1840 Oak Leaf and Reel Quilt. 


One year ago I first saw this beautiful Oak Leaf and Reel quilt on display at a local quilt show & sale. I tried to emphasize to the ladies in charge that it was an excellent example of an 1840s quilt with Prussian blue fabrics and a woven tape binding. 

And this year it is mine--happily rescued from being tossed at this year's show & sale. I'll show you some of the blocks. 


And here are photos of the quilting and the border. 



The border is hard to see but it has a lot of Prussian blue with some deterioration. But overall it is fantastic!

I sent it to Dana for her January auction :-) 

On another note . . . 

My quilt at this year's show. 

And Dawn's sweet quilt. She does all the longarm quilting for me. 

A Bonnie Hunter quilt that was on display.  


Another gorgeous sunset! My daughter took this at 6:43 pm from my deck. It might be the best of all sunsets this summer. 

That's all for now . . . 

 

Copyright 2026 Barbara Schaffer   
 

1 comment:

  1. You are very very good at spotting the gems of the quilt world, that is a wonderful save. The sunsets and the fall colors have been spectacular this year, we took a long ride along the NY/PA border this afternoon and we both thought the colors are the best we've seen in several years.

    ReplyDelete