Tuesday, July 7, 2026

It's a Finish!

The Log Cabins & Asterisk quilt I started exactly one year ago is finally finished. I put the last stitches in the label last night. 

Had to photograph it on my bed :) It's 81" x 70.5" so really too small for a queen but you get the idea.

I started making 6" asterisk blocks using 1" strips that finished at 1/2". I like the way those yellows pop. The background is a really dark brownish-black. I auditioned a few border fabrics but nothing looked right.

Then i purchased 100 little log cabin centers (previous post) and ended up making 104 blocks that finished at 6".

I used lots and lots of scraps. 


The border fabric is an oldie that I had purchased at the Rag Shop many years ago. I never found the right quilt to use it in--until now. I had just enough to add a 5" border all around. 
 

It was longarm quilted by Dawn at Cabin Creek Stitchery. She is only minutes from where I live and I love her work! I'm kind of hooked on this Dave's Falling Leaves pattern which adds a nice Adirondack touch. 


These are the fabrics I put on the back. The one on the left once belonged to my good friend Dawn H. in NJ :-)

All in all I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I plan on putting it up for sale next month at a popular Quilt Show & Sale in a neighboring town.  

________

 

There have been some amazing sunsets lately and they just keep getting better and better. It was about 9:00 pm when my daughter and I were out on the deck when this one showed its colors. We couldn't take our eyes off of it!  

Happy Summer!  

 

 Copyright 2026 Barbara Schaffer  

2 comments:

  1. That is a great log cabin/asterisk quilt, and a fabulous border fabric! Gorgeous sunsets there too. I've seen photos of some outstanding sunsets along Lake Ontario, ours have been much more subdued lately. I tend to see more sunrises than sunsets lately. Hope you are enjoying a lovely summer, it's been quite hot and humid in WNY for much of the past month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creation. I think sometimes our quilts need to remember the "make do" heritage from which they sprang. You used things you had and it all comes together to make a beautiful and unique quilt.
    Oh, the sunsets! Never tire of seeing them, whether the ones at home, or what others like yourself have to share. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete