Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Slow Stitching Blocks and Needlecase

I'm calling them "slow stitching" blocks and I guess that's what they are but I still have a hard time grasping the concept. I am leaning toward making an accordian-style fabric book with an Adirondack theme. We'll see how that goes . . .  

Here are the next three:


A collage based on our woodsy driveway with glimpses of blue sky peeking through the trees. There are lots of deer and squirrels. 

Four different fabrics along with a single cut-out duck :) I do a small basting stitch along all raw edges then big stitch on top using embroidery floss. I embellished the duck's wing tips to give them some dimension. 


This is what the back looks like. 

Two years ago, I had good intentions of making cross-stitch pillow cases with north country designs. It's no surprise I nixed that idea after completing one deer but what better way than to use it as one of my new blocks. I added a butterfly to remind me of the Bambi Golden Book which I so loved :)

I also spent some time making a little needlebook by hand that I found on Ann Wood Handmade here.  




It was definitely a fun project even though it took longer than I anticipated but isn't that what slow stitching is all about--"slow" but "quick" to finish?? Would love to hear about any slow stitching that you've done :)


I'll leave you with this--"The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly." I'll tell you more about it soon :)


Copyright 2024 Barbara Schaffer

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having fun with your "Outdoorsy" pages. So much "Scope for the imagination" as Anne would say. I love your little needle book. The fabric for the outside is so pretty. I came across this pattern a couple of months ago and now your little piece makes me want to make one even more. I like this so much I would buy it in a shop if I could find one. Just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin! Yes, I'm definitely having fun making those pages. I hope you make a little needle book :)

      Delete
  2. Your Adirondack wildlife stitcheries will make a beautiful folding book. They're so imaginative and the stitching enhances the features perfectly. The needle book is a treasure! You asked if we do slow stitching, and to me it seems like all my stitching is slow these days! Hand quilting and hand applique is definitely slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is so true--hand quilting and hand applique are slow, too!

      Delete
  3. I love the book idea with your wildlife pages. They are so creative. I envy your ability to be so creative.
    A very sweet needle book. Such lovely fabrics, inside and out.
    Looking forward to your story of that last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've only got two more blocks to "slow stitch" (haha) and then I can figure out how to put them into a folding book.

      Delete