Wednesday, January 12, 2022

2021 is Gone--Part II

The second half of the year was a little different than the first mainly because the Deacon blocks were ALL done! In their place I finished a couple small quilts and continued making minis. Scraps seemed to be the norm :)

July 2021

July mini was made from leftover (what else??) strips from a large-print top that I was working on. Don't know that I ever would have intentionally planned this layout but that's the fun of making minis!

August 2021

This was made using a thrift shop brown and border print--I had a lot of both.

 September 2021

I finished Marbles--my much smaller version of the ever-popular Quilty 365 :) Should have replaced that light block on the right. Just sayin'!

This mini was made from leftover tumblers from a UFO that I hope to finish soon--yes, soon!. Why didn't I notice that pink before in the lower right? It just seems to blend in with the border and looks really washed out. In hindsight I should have moved it to another position!

October 2021

More thrift shop finds made their way into October's mini. I'll never forget Wendy's description of the green/yellow/black stripe as a "moose with sunglasses." That really made my day!

November 2021 

Get It Done was finally finished! I'm not crazy about this quilt but after many iterations this was the end result. 

What fun it was to work with someone else's scraps! When Janet O. announced her Baggie Challenge I chose one of her baggies and made this November mini. 

 December 2021

The last mini of 2021 included some French General fabrics mixed in with pieces from the scrap quilt I'd been working on. That center strip was from Barbara B's Ladies' Legacy line and fit right in. The border was a thrift shop goodie :) 

Oops! I almost forgot this one even though I made it a while ago. Love those Best of Morris fabrics by Barbara B :)

 __________

The day before Christmas we went to watch the Olympic Team Trials in Lake Placid. A gift from my daughter and her husband.


 The event was the Nordic Combined . . . 


. . . which started at the Lake Placid Olympic Ski Jumping Complex . . . 


. . . and ended at Mt. Van Hoevenberg with a grueling 10K cross-country ski. The winner, Taylor Fletcher, was nominated to the 2022 U.S. Olympic Team. He is one of the fastest cross-country skiers on the world circuit. NBC was there filming but it was also fascinating to watch a drone flying overhead!  

Well, that wraps up 2021!

It's time to move on to 2022 . . . 😊😊😊

 

 

Copyright 2022, Barbara Schaffer 

9 comments:

  1. Hard to choose a favorite among all these great mini and small quilts. Seeing them all together is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really is a wonderful lineup of the mini and small quilts!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These minis are like a box of chocolates. It's hard to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely collection of mini quilts. It was fun revisiting them all. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a strange year, but we did have some quilty fun for sure. And, you have a houseful of marvelous minis to show for it. I know what you mean about seeing a certain block or fabric after the fact and wishing that we had switched it. But, when I look at antique quilts some of my favorites are the quirky ones with fabrics that don't see to fit, so I guess we are making our own statement. Looks like you had a wonderful time in Lake Placid. Hoping to get some "big snow" this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little quilts!
    How fun to see the Olympic finals!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice collection of mini's and small quilts. I love the idea of a tiny Quilty 365! Maybe I could get one like that done this year! And yes, I loved Wendy's observation of that green stripe! Moose with sunglasses, lol. I think that actually that is my favorite of this group of quilts - it almost looks like one of those paintings of a place in spring, summer, fall and winter! Really cute and I love the colors. Jan in MA

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely collection of mini quilts. They are all charming and have their own personalities.
    What a treat to see the Olympic Trials. I know it will be different with Covid, but I am still looking forward to watching them.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed revisiting your minis of 2020 all together in one post. You have had a wonderful year!
    And how fun to be able to see the Olympic Trials. A great gift.

    ReplyDelete