Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Deacon Blocks 37-40

Happily moving forward with another set of Deacon blocks . . . 


. . . and jumping around the layout.
 
 

One pieced, one foundation-pieced, and 2 pieced and appliqued.  

Attributed to Charles Deacon / Evesham
I saved this one till last because all those points were intimidating. But I'm happy to report the block actually turned out to be the correct size!

Attributed to Martha H. Coles /1841
This block was foundation-pieced and the red fabric in the center once belonged to Natalie :) The more I do the smarter I get. E.g. after printing the instructions I measure each unit to make sure the crosswise width will finish at 9". In this case, I added the width of an hourglass + square + hourglass + square + hourglass and it was short. Almost always I have to enlarge the file to 103% on my printer which is what I did. 

Attributed to Amos Buzby Jr. / Rancocas NJ
It looks like I'll be making another one of these. I just spotted it above the red star in the bottom row. Not sure I'm happy with the way the center circle looks after trimming away 4 layers of fabric--base, large white circle, red circle, small white circle.

 Attributed to Charles Henry Deacon / Evesham

This star was pieced in pairs of diamonds then appliqued to the background.  

  

Another amazing sunset!

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer 

5 comments:

  1. I looked right off at that star pattern and though, oh, my goodness. 16 points coming together! It turned out fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such meticulous work. I don't see anything that needs a redo, but you are the judge. They are each so precise to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the blocks look perfect to me too! That beautiful star would shine the brightest in any galaxy! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precision is the word, wow! More beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These blocks are tough and complicated. You are making them perfectly! I love your color combinations.
    pretty photo it looks like poetry.

    ReplyDelete