Monday, February 25, 2019

Selvage Strings and Feb Mini

Happy Monday! I'll hop in today because it's not only the Linky Party for Lori's Strings Sewalong but it's also the end of the month for Wendy's Monthly Mini.


After making 41 blocks, I've just about run out of selvages. I haven't yet gone through my stash to see what other ones I can cut so will keep this project ongoing for a while. Had to take pics on the floor because I have a big quilt on my design wall that I'll share another time.


This layout is different from the one I showed you last month but I think I like that one better. What do you think?


For this month's mini, I finally used the vintage 9-patch blocks that I purchased from Mary Koval many years ago in Lancaster. 


They were all hand-pieced and close to 3"--if you know what I mean :) So I started squaring them up and this is what they look like.


 The stripes are crooked on some . . . 


. . . there are stains on others . . . 


. . . but all are intact :)

 

The back. I tried Barb V's method for applying a single binding. She has a great tutorial here. I would definitely try it again!  


This year I've decided to add an extra line on the label that tells a little more about the quilt. 

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer


 

14 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE your little mini. I love the sashing you chose. I'll be posting and linking this on Wednesday. I think I like this string block layout better than the other, but I actually like them both so I'm no help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vintage nine patch blocks now can be enjoyed with their spots and crookiness. It's a wonderful monthly mini. You've been saving tons of fabric salvages! It's an awesome string design with so many fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your other layout of your string quilt too!! Your little mini is so cute, I just love it! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mini. There's something about vintage quilts that aren't quite squared up that makes them even more appealing than our modern tendencies to fuss about absolute perfection. This is so charming, and your sashing fabric compliments the blocks perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your selvedge blocks look great and you've got a hard choice to make between those two layouts. I do like the previous "Scrappy Trips" inspired layout but could also see sashing put between the chevron selvedge columns in this layout so I'm no help either! Let it continue to simmer, it'll tell you where it wants to go. I also love your mini -- you made great use of the Koval blocks and the imperfections are part of the vintage charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight to the eyes! Could you, in another post, indicate how wide are the selvages that you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll post some info about how wide the selvages are. Thanks for asking :)

      Delete
  7. Strings and a mini, oh my! Both projects are SEW lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your string quilt is awesome! Seriously I love both settings!!
    Love using antique blocks- they are so humble and darling in your little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a charming ninepatch mini. Those cornerstones just sparkle! I always love how stripes add movement in little blocks. Hand pieced, wow there must be like 4 stitches per seam.
    fun fun selvages! They look fun and I bet you can make all sorts of different patterns with them.
    Thanks for trying my single binding method. Your label looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun. I have never used my selvage but I have seen some great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree about the earlier selvage arrangement. What a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm still making selvage blocks and leaning toward that first arrangement. I'll see how many blocks I have when I'm done.

      Delete