Friday, October 31, 2014

Flags of the American Revolution Update

Here are my flags for the Flags of the American Revolution quiltalong. You can see what other quilters are doing on Lori's Humble Quilts blog. What fun to see everyone's blocks! 

Instead of embroidering the snake's tongue and eye, I inked them in using a Pigma pen.

I knew I didn't want to use star buttons for the next few flags as was suggested. Even bought a package of stick-on felt stars at Michaels but they were too big . . . 

Then I remembered I had these star fabrics. They were perfect. I cut out the blue stars and fused them to the flag below and then did the same with the smaller stars (using the reverse side as they were a bit "whiter") and fused them to the next two.

Oops, one star shifted a bit. Can you tell which one?

I'm all prepared to start November's assignment. Have my fabrics and just traced the pieces for the eagle applique onto freezer paper.

Happy Sewing!

Copyright 2014, Barbara Schaffer


  1. Your blocks worked out great! As I read your post I realized I haven't sewn my snakes tongue!!!
    I used some fabric stars too….instead of buttons.

  2. Great blocks, love the idea with the fusing.
    And I forgot my snake tongue as well, oh my.
    Good to see the blocks of others, I would have not noticed.

  3. Great idea for the stars. I haven’t done mine as I couldn’t find any buttons and couldn’t decide what to do.

  4. Love your blocks and see you thought of a great way to do the stars too! I guess now I am behind since I have a lot of them to add one way or the other! lol

  5. You came up with a really nice solution for the starts. It's so great to see everyone's blocks!

  6. You solved the star situation very well.