Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Palisades Amusement Park

I just finished reading Palisades Park by Alan Brennert and wow! did it bring back a lot of memories. Palisades Amusement Park was located in Cliffside Park, NJ, two towns away from where I grew up in Leonia. When I was in high school the Park was one of the "in" places to go.

But even before I was old enough to go to the Park, both my aunts, Midge and Leila, enjoyed the attractions as well.


Here I am with my best friend Kitty having our picture taken in the photo booth in the Penny Arcade ...


. . . where machines dispensed licenses of every sort. The Jitterbug License "is a certificate of graduation from the Hoppy-Go-Waukee School of Dancing, and entitles bearer to "Get Hot" wherever and whenever she meets a Jazz Band. . . "


The Musician's License ". . . successfully passed the combined examination of the "Boiler Maker's and Barber Pole Musical College," is hereby licensed to sing or play any instrument off key . . . "


The Certificate of Emancipation: ". . . by reason of this am protected against all the vices and vicissitudes of life and may now live my own life the way I see fit without any orders or suggestions from the boy friend, that I am relieved of all adherence to the conventionalities of life; and especially exonerated from washing any socks, sewing on buttons, cooking, waiting on, or waiting for the male animal . . . "


A page from my high school scrapbook in 1958. I particularly like the cards that predicted "Your Future Husband - Your Future Children. The one in the upper left: "Your husband will be a handsome sailor. . . you will fall for his line of business because you like salt water taffy and this is all he will be able to give you. . . you will be deliriously happy rearing four little blue jackets." Hmmm. . .

Lower right: "Your future husband will be a prince. He will fall in love with you at first sight and rush you off your feet. No use saying "no" to him because he will come back with his entire navy and get you. You will have a castle, a steam yacht, and a title, will join the social world, see the four corners of the earth, and will live a happy and contented life with one little prince." omg, I was deceived <g>


Aunt Midge was thirteen years old when this picture was taken at the Palisades Amusement Park Swimming Pool in 1937. 


And here she is on the beach in the 40's. . .


. . . and goofing around in search of "men."


 A souvenir photo of my Aunt Leila and Uncle Russ.


And my cousin, Kris, on a boat ride in Kiddieland.

I have so many fond memories of Palisades Amusement Park and was thrilled to find this website :)

__________
Copyright 2014, Barbara Schaffer
 

No comments:

Post a Comment