Wednesday, July 24, 2019

New Project

And just like that! I started a new project :)


As soon as I saw this quilt on Pinterest I knew it was one I wanted to make. I love the quirkiness especially the scrappy look and the odd color scheme--purples, blacks, madders, etc. 


I'm working more toward achieving the "look" but not getting fanatical about trying to reproduce the fabrics. First off--purple/lavender. I've had this piece for years so that's where I began. 


 Second--that small scrap of yellow makes this block sing. 


All the pieces are based on 2" except for the cross in the center which is 1". The finished block is 9".


I have a hard time when things aren't balanced especially like that lower right triangle because it isn't black. Such an odd mixture of fabrics.


The first four blocks up on my wall. I'm already on a quest to find sashing fabric :)

__________

Thank you for your concern about the injured bird I picked up last week. She didn't respond to treatment and was euthanized on Saturday.  

So glad that heatwave is over! We're heading to the shore tomorrow for my husband's birthday :) 




__________
Copyright 2019, Barbara Schaffer




  

15 comments:

  1. Oh I am liking your "version" of that scrappy quilt--nice work
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are reproducing the "look" very well. It is a quirky quilt but I can't help but be tickled by the fabric choices and color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the bird. We all thank you for trying. On a happy note, my sister in law rescued a baby Merlin (a small hawk) on Sunday and she is doing well at Avian Haven. I adore this quilt!! I can see why you had to reproduce it. I have seen it published, but can't remember where. It might be in an old Quilt Engagement calendar or in Sandi Fox's Small Endearments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many inspirations on Pinterest ! Your will be gorgeous !
    So sad for the bird....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt will be gorgeous !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fun quilt, always interesting seeing how various color combinations make the same block appear so different. Looking forward to seeing what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! Your fabrics may not be a perfect match, but they certainly work well enough to recreate the look. I have not seen your inspiration quilt before, and I am on Pinterest all the time! Must adjust my settings... Somehow i missed your post about the bird. So sad. I wonder if she was hit by a car? Well bless you and the folks at the avian center for trying to save her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful, Barbara! I love the way you are reproducing this quilt and even capturing the little quirks. I can see why it drew you in. It is charming.
    That sashing makes me think of something I have seen in my stash--I'll have to think of exactly what it is and where it might be hiding. If it looks at all like I am imagining--and if I have enough for a sashing--I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you had me at "unusual color combinations" We love them when we see them but they are a challenge! I love yours so far.
    I like the idea of not matching every single piece of fabric, so much more fun to make it your own.
    Have fun at the shore.
    sorry to hear about your rescue but at least its not suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a quirky and fun quilt! You are doing terrific at reproducing it!!
    Bummer about the bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great quilt that I can tell you're having fun putting your own spin on it. Love the quirky fabrics and carefree layout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are one of many good people who go the extra mile for our feathered neighbors. Here in Wisconsin we have Marge Gibson who runs an important Raptor Center. Thanks to her many birds have been cared for - eagles and hawks in particular. Your quilt is a perfect example of how charming unusual color combinations can be...and how each block, though the same pattern, takes on a different look...fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo the blocks are great. What a cool quilt, fun to reproduce with your own spin on it. The colors are so dynamic. Sorry about the birdie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous inspiration quilt! Your blocks are coming along nicely. These are great colors!

    ReplyDelete