Wednesday, December 13, 2017

#3 is Done and So is Friendship Harvest!

Two big finishes just before the holidays--


Broken Dishes was #3 on my '17 in 2017' list. It's the result of Barb V's block swap in August 2016. I came up with this design and really had to concentrate to keep the blocks going in the right directions. 


I was one of 40 swappers in the 'Civil War Group Swap.' Keeping to a red theme each person made 2 blocks for a total of 80. Everyone sent their blocks to Barb who did her magic and returned 80 to each of us. Thanks, Barb, for a fun swap!


Barbie longarm quilted it in a wonderful all-over leaf pattern. It was the perfect choice for this quilt.


For some reason I wanted to put a paisley print on the back and wouldn't you know I found this one on sale at our local quilt shop. 


My solution to piecing and matching the print on the back was to turn under 1/4" and then top-stitch it down rather than sew a conventional seam. It actually worked quite well. 


My other finish is Friendship Harvest inspired by our guild's Disappearing Nine Patch block-of-the-month. 


I had quite a stash of fall-themed fabrics . . .


 . . . and enough fabric for the sashing.  


Barbie quilted this one in a charming pumpkin vine pattern.


The back with the last of the fall fabric. What small pieces I had left I gave to the guild for their 'drop and shop' table which is where I bought the tan-striped fabric last year :)

I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner. I've got most of my shopping done, do you?

I just discovered my Scrappy Squares quilt top with stars leftover from the Stars In A Time Warp SAL is on Barbara B's Civil War Quilts blog today :) Thanks, Barbara! 

Have a great week!




__________
Copyright 2017, Barbara Schaffer

7 comments:

  1. Are you ready for the next one ?? ;)
    Your quilt swap is awesome ! Oooh wow ! All the colors are beautiful and the setting is fabulous ! I'm working on it too and I love all these blocks !
    Wonderful finish with your Harvest quilt ! Great work Barbara !

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Broken Dish blocks were also on my list to do in 2017. Your design is beautiful and really showcases all those wonderful shared blocks. My blocks are still mulling over ideas. Not as complicated as yours. The fall quilt pattern was perfect for highlighting all those fall themed fabrics. Great idea to donate the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumped over to Barbara B's blog and your stars look marvelous. Sweet idea with all the Barbara's and their stars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your Broken Dishes quilt! Love all the fabrics, but especially that red and brown squiggle in the outer border!!! That paisley was perfect for the back. Never seen it before either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - two great finishes just in time for 2017. I really like your swap blocks setting. I don't think I've seen it before. Love that border wavey fabric.
    Barbie did a great job on your 2 quilts.
    Fun backings - off to see your Star quilt on BB blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them both! The pattern that the swap blocks make is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with your Broken Dish Blocks swap. It's fabulous. BTW the broken dish block in the middle of the close-up picture is mine, as is the one on the bottom right. So cool to see the swap blocks again. I haven't started to work on mine yet. Congratulations on these two fabulous finishes. ;^)

    ReplyDelete