Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Eleven Things That Made Me . . .

. . . S-M-I-L-E 😊

Like . . . 


1. Opening the package with my tee and medal for completing the virtual 87-mile RBG Run/Walk. My time was 27 hrs 21 min 51 sec and I placed 2549th out of 7937 participants. Yikes! I must thank my friend Cath in MS for getting me involved!


2. Receiving an email from a distant cousin in Germany who is related to me on the Strubbe side of the family. This is an early photo of the property where my gr-grandfather Wilhelm Heinrich Strubbe (1853-1917) was born in Harpenfeld :)


3. Coming across this photo of a typing class when I was in high school. I'm not in this picture but I knew many of the girls who were. In fact, my first job was typing the inventory of an antiques dealer who lived in town :)


4. Receiving a photo book from our realtor after our NJ house was sold. What a treasure!

5. Meeting my challenge of reading 12 books this year. Not bad considering all that has happened. No real rhyme or reason as to what I read though I enjoy historical fiction more than anything else. I've been a member of PaperBackSwap.com for years where I order/swap books but keep track of what I read on Goodreads.com


6. Seeing animal tracks in the snow.


7. Hanging several little Christmas quilts in my sewing space. 


8. Draping a large one over the railing so we get to see it from below.

 9. Reading about the history of the area when hiking with my daughter. 

10. Looking at photos of this gorgeous quilt that will be on display at the Bergen County NJ quilt show next June. See more pics here.


 11. Seeing this photo in the Association for Gravestone Studies newsletter--and smiling! Why? It's all about the Spritz Cookies! How clever to inscribe the recipe on a gravestone. My mom and I made these cookies every year and my favorite shape was the Christmas tree :)

Hope there are some things that made you smile, too!

 

 

__________

Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer 

 

13 comments:

  1. Your compilation is a reminder that despite the awfulness of this year there are bright spots for nearly all of us. I read Ruth Goodman's new book, The Domestic Revolution, a few weeks ago. It was very informative (and entertaining). I knew a family of Strubbes when I lived in Texas. They were from Missouri. I've kind of lost track of them but the children (who are now in their 50's) live in different places....The mobility of Americans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your post, Barbara. So nice to be surprised by the chintz quilt! I hope we will be able to have the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peggy. That quilt is amazing! I can't stop looking at it. I especially love the use of those large-scale prints :)

      Delete
  3. Well that tombstone sure put a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an enjoyable post, and many of them made me smile. The headstone brought the biggest grin of all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post has made everyone smile, me too. Congratulations on completing the virtual race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely post. Love the typing class photo. I was just FaceTiming with my daughter about Spritz. She is carrying on the tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post made me smile ... especially the cookie recipe on the headstone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! Yes! Smiles all around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your RGB run! yay for you!
    so many good things to smile about. What a fun post.
    I wish you even more good things in the future~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your post today. The headstone was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. but that cookie isn't dead so why does it have a gravestone?







    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my yes - I am now smiling too! I have not received my RBG package yet, but they say it is on the way. I have to thank you for getting me involved and I want to congratulate you for such a great finish! I opted for the 5k since I knew I would never be able to make the big one before the end of the year. Kudos to you!! I hope you have many things today to make you smile!

    ReplyDelete