Wednesday, June 17, 2020

1988 Revisit and Wildflowers

My interest in wildflowers is nothing new and searching for them is something my daughter and I enjoy doing together.


In 1988 I made a quilt featuring four blocks of my favorite wildflowers. This is Lady's Slipper--my all time fave. 



Aren't these beautiful? There's a patch along a trail not far from where we live. It's always a thrill to see them!


My Trillium block. 


Last month we saw a red one . . .  


. . . and 2 years ago a white Painted Trillium.


Hepatica is a sweet little flower but we missed seeing them this year. They are one of the earliest to bloom.


Rose Mallow is another showy flower that I found in NJ--not NY yet.


Here is the entire quilt which I named Whispering Woods after a retirement village advertisement that I saw in the local paper! How's that for creative-naming??

A few more recent pics: 

Buttercup

 Bluets 


 Cypress Spurge. . . a new one for us but now we see it everywhere. 

Foam Flower 

 Bloodroot
 

Columbine . . . such a pretty flower but there was a slight breeze on the trail so the photo is a little blurry. 


Orange Hawkweed along the roadside.


Last but not least I just love this book.


The illustrations are charming :)

That's all for now.

Enjoy your week!



__________
Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer

10 comments:

  1. I love trilliums though we've never seen a white painted one before. You have some wonderful photos in your collection as well as a gorgeous vintage quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flowers in your quilt are as lovely as those planted by our Creator. You are one talented quilter! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, eye catching quilt! Lovely job!
    I am a lover of wildflowers and we used to take a little book along when we hiked to try and identify them, but I never got very good at it. I'd love to go hiking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire your knowledge of wild flowers. I admire them but don't know very much about them.
    your flower photos and quilt are beautiful. isn't it wonderful when our passions collide creatively?
    lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing all these pictures about beautiful flowers !! The Nature is inspiring us..
    Your quilt is beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat as t to see all those little gems. It's nice that there are still wild flowers along the trails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely woods you have to visit and view these beautiful flowers in, and a lovely quilt you made to whisper happy thoughts when we have to isolate whether it be now or winter you can still visit the woods while wrapped in memories and your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers both in the wild and on quilts.... my Mom had that book... so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your walk among the wildflowers and how you put them into the quilt. Have lady slipper envy - such a rare wildflower & always memorable to find one in its natural habitat. Love the bluets & just finished reading a book about the blue people of Kentucky - the main character was called “Bluet” We have lots of hawkweed in bloom now - a pretty shade of deep orange isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm slow when I hike cause I'm always stopping and checking out the flowers or fungi! What a terrific quilt!

    ReplyDelete