Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Cards & Hearts

For the past few years I've been making paper-cut Valentine's cards for my husband from free patterns that I found on the internet. Each one has been a bit of a challenge but I love the way they turn out.

Aunt Midge saved Valentine's cards going back to the 30s so I'm sharing some of those and then I posted some heart-shaped appliqued blocks which, after 25 years, still remain unfinished.


I waited until the last minute and made this card yesterday morning. I used regular copy paper which I taped to a rotating Olfa 12" square mat and cut the design with an X-Acto knife and #11 blade.



Last year I made this cute Valentine with two squirrels. And talking about squirrels. . . .



This little guy was tunneling under the snow yesterday to get to the bird seed I had thrown out.


My first attempt at paper-cutting got me thinking--wouldn't it be fun to do some gravestone cut-outs? lol


Maybe ten years ago or so, I made this card out of handmade paper, fabric cut-outs, lace, and ribbon. Long before that my daughter and I had made the paper out of an assortment of newspapers and magazines.


When I was making Milestones & Memories, I included this block to represent all the beautiful Valentine's Day flowers my husband had given me through the years. 

  


All the above are from Aunt Midge to Uncle Warren, World War II.



Top left: from my mom to her sister, Midge. "I've got a heart full of love for you. Tetta"; right: "To My Pal," from "Daddy Pal" dated 2-14-39.

Bottom left: "Dearest Midge" 1942 from "Daddy Pal"; right: "To My Baby" from "Dad." 





Twenty-five years and still wondering. . . will I ever do anything with these appliqued blocks? 


__________
Copyright 2014, Barbara Schaffer




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your cut-out valentines and the vintage ones.

    ReplyDelete