Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmastime: A Family Photo, A Holiday Quilt & A Cemetery Visit

With Christmas just around the corner I still have lots to do but I have three photos I wanted to share before the holiday arrives.


This is a c. 1905 photograph of my grandfather, Stanton Bower (upper left), my grandmother, Etta Strubbe Bower (lower left), and my great-aunt, Leila Bower (lower right), taken in the Bronx, NY.


I made North Country in 1993 when I was in my applique-phase of quilt making. The star blocks are from Elly Sienkiewicz's book, "Baltimore Beauties and Beyond."


My "feel-good" thing to do just before Christmas is to go to the cemetery and visit my family's graves. I place a grave blanket between my parents' and my aunt and uncle's gravestones and then put bouquets of greenery in front of all.  

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!

__________
Copyright 2013, Barbara Schaffer 

No comments:

Post a Comment