Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Prepping For A Blizzard

The past couple of days we'd been hearing about an anticipated "historic snow event" in our area (NY/NJ) with snow fall totals anywhere between 10 and 34 inches or more. Just the thought of being snowbound makes me want to have everything in place so I can sew to my heart's content. I LOVE SNOW STORMS! 


First, we brought in some wood for the wood-burning stove . . . 


I made sure my feathered friends had plenty of food . . . 


I bought a new iron because mine was on its last legs . . . 


I went to the quilt shop and bought some fat quarters on sale . . . 


I brewed a pot of strong tea and tea-dyed some fabric--silverware helped keep it submerged :) . . . 


The result. Reverse on the left and actual on the right. The background was pure white when I started.  

But what a disappointment it was this morning to find only a few inches of snow on the ground. The storm had made its way eastward to Long Island, CT, and the coast so I will just pretend I'm snowbound . . . .


I recently won some 1-1/2" squares from Lori at Humble Quilts blog and have decided to use her scraps in this cute medallion quilt. The reverse side of the tea-dyed fabric above might work for the inner border. 


I'm ready to work on my 2014 photo/memory album. I've done an album every year for the past 14 years. Last year was a big snow year for us. I wonder if this year will even come close. 


I'm participating in Barbara Brackman's Stars In A Time Warp QuiltAlong and these are the blocks I made with Prussian Blue repro fabrics. Did you notice the Stars In A Time Warm button on the right? Click on it and it will take you to Barbara's Civil War Quilts blog. Last Wednesday the topic was Prussian Blue and one of the quilts she featured was my Brown and Blue Star quilt :) 



I remembered HQPNJ documenting some quilts with Prussian Blue fabrics so I went back through the files. Here's an 1845 quilt by Ann Hand of Salem County, NJ. Photo by HQPNJ.



This one was made by Nancy Pease of Mannington, Salem, NJ. Photo by Lafayette Quilters Guild. 


Album quilt with name in each block. One block has "Mary A. Holmes died March 4, 1851 age 40 years." Photo by HQPNJ.


Made by Martha Tate Killey, Allentown, NJ and published in HQPNJ's book New Jersey Quilts. Photo by HQPNJ.  

I'm off to do some sewing :) Have a great day!


__________
Copyright 2015, Barbara Schaffer





5 comments:

  1. You have been busy! I love your Prussian blue stars. So cool that Brackman featured your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the snow you were waiting for landed right in my neighborhood - we got 35 inches!! Two snow days - more time for quilting. Your Prussian blue blocks are absolutely gorgeous. I am doing the Stars in a Time Warp too - posting them on Instagram too if you are interested in doing that #Starsinatimewarp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks and am happy to see you used the squares so quickly!
    Did you get more snow since this post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts could be in a museum as ANTIQUES! How wonderful that you are sharing your skills with us.
    Smiles, JulieinTN

    ReplyDelete