Wednesday, August 26, 2020

August Mini +

 This month's mini started with three orphan 16-patch blocks . . . 

. . . and then I added three more. 

 

This little quilt with its large paisley border was my inspiration. It's from Merikay Waldvogel's book, Childhood Treasures.

I had just enough of this paisley for the backing and it was interesting to see how the pattern lined up when I sewed the two strips together. 

Wendy usually posts her mini on the last day of the month so be sure to visit :) But another reason to visit is the awesome Covid Community Supper quilt that she assembled from blocks that were contributed by quilters near and far. And the back is just as pretty as the front :)

This little guy was playing hide and seek when I stopped by my brother's cabin.

An impressive display of Queen Anne's Lace on the main road. 

 

And nearby was this Creeping Bellflower--another invasive.


Reflections of the sunset on the river always catch my eye.

Have a great week!

 

 

__________

Copyright 2020, Barbara Schaffer


10 comments:

  1. Fun mini, love that paisley! Always fun to see what mother nature has for us to admire each day. We had a gloriously bright orange setting moon the other evening around 10:45.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you I interpreted that vintage doll quilt; Barbara. Yours has so much life, the patch blocks practically jump off the background! Great paisley, too, quite like the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mini is so delightful as is the original. I did notice thought yours is a bit more square! Using that large paisley was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love your mini. Perfect wide border for those great patches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mini is a little charmer--love that you found a way to use the orphan blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet little doll quilt and great inspiration. I have to pull that book down and browse through it.
    Lovely Queens Anne Lace. There is a whole field near me.
    Oh sunset on any water is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful monthly mini! You've taken a sweet inspiration quilt and made it even better. Love the backing too. Thanks for another great mini. And, your Queen Anne's Lace is so pretty. It is one of my favorite wildflowers. I love the smell as you walk through them. Sort of spicey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good use of those orphan blocks. Love the way the backing worked out.
    I had to grab my copy of that book to seek some inspiration. Haven't done my monthly mini yet! Yikes!!
    I appreciate the shots of nature. Always lifts my spirits to appreciate the beautiful world in which we live, in spite of all the craziness going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful paisley fabric !
    And your mini is beautiful too !!

    ReplyDelete